Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do you do.........?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 31 May 2022 16:48

I wondered what other researchers do if / when they find themselves faced with Trees on other sites that have their own birth family with the wrong information? I have not posted my Family Tree anywhere but have been surprised to find several trees on sites that are said to be of my family with so much wrong info.

My fathers birth surname is wrong as is my mother's. The dates of birth are correct but.both of my parents were adopted. It has obviously been assumed the surname they were known by was their birth name.but there is no birth certificate under those names? Goodness knows where they got my grandfather's name from? I wrote to one researcher to query all the errors, she said she had copied "someone's" Tree off Ancestry!
Has this happened to any of you? if it has, i would be very interested to know what action you took, if any

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2022 16:52

Ancestry trees are often works of fiction

If you know YOUR tree is accurate - let them get on with it

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 May 2022 17:10

Ancestry allow you to add a comment to someone’s tree entry. I usually do that if the tree owner hasn’t logged on for ages.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2022 17:24

Nameslessone -

Is that different from messaging the tree owner?
If so, how do you do it, please? I can't see any obvious way to do it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 May 2022 17:33

Hi AG
Hope this explanation works.

Once you get to the profile page there should be a box top right, click on the tools symbol and you should get a drop down box with comment as one of the options.

That was off the top of my head - will now have to log in and see if I was right :-D

Names

Yea ! I was right. I once went and added comments to dozens of incorr3ct trees which named a woman as someone’s wife. Tree 1, whoever that was, had taken an easy option and presumably everyone else had copied. Bit of research got the right one. Is. I amuse myself by not correcting my mothers date of death in trees, just to prove that everyone else is copying.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2022 23:23

Thanks, Names.

That's certainly well-hidden - but useful to know about.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Jun 2022 10:09

Good morning Names.

What deep, deep joy you have given me! Have followed your instructions and added constructive and factual comments to a really badly researched and much copied tree. I feel many happy hours will come from your advice.

Many thanks.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Jun 2022 10:21

Happy to please :-D :-D :-D :-D