Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zoopla

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Aug 2022 16:18

I often see Zoopla recommended to people seeking help with their research, particularly on the Find Living Relatives board. I agree that it is a handy tool and have used it myself but I wonder if a recommendation ought to come with a caveat, particularly for newbies. It is not foolproof. It doesn't mean a house hasn't been sold if it doesn't appear on Zoopla. I know of at least 3 houses, including my own sold in 2013 which are not shown on Zoopla.

It's just a thought for the kind helpers on these boards to consider.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2022 16:34

Good point. But is anything fool proof? ;-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Aug 2022 16:43

Obviously Zoopla records only info to which it has access

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Aug 2022 17:35

You know that ErikaH, and I know that, but an inexperienced newbie may not think like that. If a helper who has already found a lot of information for someone says something like Zoopla shows the house hasn't been sold since......, that someone may just take that as the gospel truth, rather than a possibility.

I am not being critical and it's probably not that important a point anyway; it's just something that struck me reading through some threads.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Aug 2022 17:45

Point taken.

Also a house may have been sold recently, but the site not yet updated.

alviegal

alviegal Report 17 Aug 2022 12:50

A very valid point Vera, definitely worth bearing in mind.

I, myself, have never dealt with Zoopla so when I see that a house has not been sold since whenever, I tend to believe it. I will certainly not take it as gospel anymore, thank you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Aug 2022 16:59

Surely no sensible person takes anything as ‘gospel’ without verification?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Aug 2022 09:09

That’s put some people in their place. ;-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 18 Aug 2022 11:35

oops :-S :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Aug 2022 13:24

Alviegal - I wasn’t finger pointing.

alviegal

alviegal Report 18 Aug 2022 19:16

no I know you weren't :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Aug 2022 14:20

Rightmove do it as well and according to their website the information is taken from the Land Registries of England and Scotland.

They go back to 2000 and both the house we are in now and the one we sold are listed and neither is on Zoopla.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2022 16:26

For what it's worth -

Zoopla says,
"We get our sold house price data from HM Land Registry/Registers of Scotland. It can take up to 3 months for it to appear here."