Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New but Old Thread

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mike

mike Report 13 Sep 2022 13:53

Having been told off for starting a new thread for the same person how do I start a thread aimed at a different side of the family. A direct life search via husband etc came to dead end, but she had extensive family from her mother's side. If I put up a name ie the original search it would be meaningless to that side of the family.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Sep 2022 14:09

I think you are referring to me.

Put yourself in the position of the person who uses their own time to help you in your research only to find that others have done exactly the same having found your request on another board. Researchers also find it very useful to discuss their research with others, which cannot take place if using another board.

If the new quest is a related to your previous quest there is no problem with adding it as a new post rather than a new thread. Again it can save the volunteer researchers from covering old research. Catching
the eye of a family member by using the name in a thread title is unlikely to happen.

If you are hoping to find family members it is always best to search the family trees via the search option.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Sep 2022 14:36

The people who use these boards are not remotely likely to have ANY connection to you or the names you are researching.

There is a facility on here called ‘search all member trees’. Use that to look for possible connected people

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Sep 2022 15:11

Sorry but perhaps you don’t appreciate it’s not genes or professional searchers who respond to enquiries but other genes members with subs to other sites who are willing to use their time and subs to help

To find you have spend time and sometimes money doing look ups that have already been found is annoying!

I too spend my own money on Scotland’s people and the 1921 census to try and help

So it’s not admonishment but a please don’t duplicate

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2022 15:13

You'll find "Search all member trees" in the drop-down list under "Search" at top right of this page.

If you find results for any of the people you're interested in, click on "Find out more", to the right of the search result, and send a message to the tree "owner", explaining your interest. You may or may not have found a relative.

There's no guarantee of a reply, but it's worth a try.
If the tree owner has changed email address without telling GR, they won't receive GR's emailed notification .
Also, the tree owner may be unwell, or even have died, or lost interest in their family tree, or may think the notification from GR is some sort of scam and therefore not click on the link to read your message - lots of reasons why you may not receive a reply.
Some people do reply eventually, but not for ages - weeks, months.

Good luck!

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2022 16:37

You can edit the thread title to something like "John Smith was ".

Marian

Marian Report 17 Sep 2022 11:42

Hello, just to add to the above, when I joined in 2006 I use to post quite a lot of separate requests for the same family thus ending up with a lot of threads for the same family. Back then, no one asked me to keep to the same thread. If I decide to pick up my tree for a particular family name which has the several threads, can anyone advise what I should do. Do I use an old thread or start a new one with an explanation of what info I already have? Thank you.

Marian

Marian Report 17 Sep 2022 11:43

Hello, just to add to the above, when I joined in 2006 I use to post quite a lot of separate requests for the same family thus ending up with a lot of threads for the same family. Back then, no one asked me to keep to the same thread. If I decide to pick up my tree for a particular family name which has the several threads, can anyone advise what I should do. Do I use an old thread or start a new one with an explanation of what info I already have? Thank you.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Sep 2022 11:53

Marian
If it were me I would start a new thread with all the information that has been gathered. But acknowledge the previous threads and add the links in case anyone wants to go through them.
When you first joined ther probably weren't so many people around ready to help with the research. Now there are quite a few - so much easier for them to keep to the one thread for a family.

Marian

Marian Report 17 Sep 2022 11:59

Thank you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2022 13:22

Back in 2006, the boards were filled with posts - fast-moving and hard to keep track of.

There were hundreds of active users......unlike now, when there are no more than a handful

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Sep 2022 13:47

Back in the day there were some different boards. By chance I was the only person to send a message following an older appeal on here and thence found an unknown relative and helped him connect with his close family.