Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canada wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 5 May 2023 16:16

I probably already know the answer to this one but is there any way to search for wills and/or probate in Canada like there is here? I'm guessing not because canadian records are very few and far between. It's Ontario I'm interested in. I followed a link to FamilySearch but it didn't tell me very much.

Annie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2023 17:19

Is this the FS link you found?

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Ontario_Probate_Records

It all sounds very complicated, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to do it.

Kuros

Kuros Report 5 May 2023 17:56

Yes, that's the one. By the time I'd read it all I'd lost the will to live.

Annie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2023 23:37

I don't think it is that Canadian records are few and far between, but that Canada is a federation of provinces, and so many things are the responsibility of the individual province.

There are therefore no central registries as in the UK

The records are there, and plentiful, but you have to know which province, dates etc in greater detail than most of us are used to.

Thus you find this kind of information when googling Ontario Probate Records .......

"They are available only through the courthouse in the County or District where the will was probated or the estate administered."

Kuros

Kuros Report 8 May 2023 15:59

I don't think I'd have as much information as they want but I'll keep trying. So much easier here when it's just England and Wales to look through. Thank you.

Annie