Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a will or probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 May 2023 14:31

I am trying to find a will and or probate but when I search the GRO, the search returns nothing.
There was property involved so surely must have been a probate/will involved?

Any suggestions how else I can find out please?

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2023 14:47

When was the death?

Don’t forget that it can actually take many years before probate or admin is done.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 May 2023 14:49

names in was q4 1972

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 May 2023 14:55

Unless the Will actually went to Probate, there will not be any record.

Not all Wills need to be proved..

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 May 2023 15:02

Ah ok Erika ty for that

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 May 2023 15:15

You say you've tried the GRO but probate is with the GOV.UK site (unless GRO a slip of the finger)

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2023 15:19

If there was a husband/ wife who died later then it is worthwhile looking for their probate/ admin, as it may cover the earlier death.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 May 2023 15:29

Yes sorry greyghost I meant GOV.UK.

Names when the person died, they were a widow. It's a bit of a mystery as to who got the property and what if there was a will, who was left whatever. It's a friends family Im trying to help. The people involved are no longer around except for grand and grt grandchildren.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2023 17:31

Can you apply to the land registry for the history of ownership?

Have you got the probate/ admin for her late husband?
There is always the possibility that she didn’t actually own the property at the time of her death.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 May 2023 17:43

Names, I have that in mind, checking the deeds.

But I have found something that may shed some light, a starting point anyway.

The lodger that was living in the house when lady became widowed continued to live in that house until his death in 2001. I have found a probate for that person. So shall wait and see what it contains.

if it doesn't shed any light about ownership of the house, then yes I will check out the ownership of the property.

Although the family seem to think, the widow owned the property, it crossed my mind that it may of been rented but time will tell.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 May 2023 17:50

If she did own the house, she may have transferred ownership to the lodger before her death, if he was there for years and had become a friend, and possibly even partly a carer, or at least very helpful to her, latterly.

In that case, no Will would have been necessary as far as the house is concerned.

That happened with neighbours of ours.
Two elderly spinster sisters had a lodger for several years before first one and then the other died. The second sister had put the house in the lodger's name, and he continued to live there for many years until his own death.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2023 18:17

Zoopla and Rightmove should be able to show if the house was sold after the 2001 death.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 May 2023 16:10

The Probate record tells you nothing about the contents of the Will. You have to obtain a copy of the actual document to find out what the deceased’s wishes were with regard to disposal of his/her assets

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 May 2023 18:08

I got a copy of the probate and will for Harold Keeler, however the house he was living in at the time of his death was not the house he was lodging in since around 1940.

Short of paying out for the full deeds of the widow's house, not sure in absence of a will or probate for her, I can find out her last wishes.

The only other thing I could investigate through the local council is find out if in 1972, it was a rented council house and she didn't own it.