Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jesophat

Jesophat Report 28 May 2023 03:41

How does one send a tree to another family member who is trying to build their own family tree? I can download onto a disc but it cannot be read. What does the receiver of the disc need to do to access the tree? I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy. Tks in advance . Jess.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 28 May 2023 05:48

Hi

Is the tree on GR?

If so, click "Family Tree" at the top, and there are 3 options - My Tree, Import Gedcom, and Export Gedcom. If you click Export Gedcom, you can then send it via email.

Alternatively, is the tree on Ancestry?

If so, click "Trees"at the top, then "Create and Manage Trees", then again you can upload a Gedcom file to email. Or if the person you are sending to has Ancestry, open your own tree and there is a box labelled "Invite" at topright. Click that, and enter email address of person you are sending to.

There will probably be other ways, I'm sure somebody else will advise you.

Good luck

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2023 09:27

If you refer to your tree on this site, the easiest way would be for the other person to join GR and be given access.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 May 2023 13:21

If you send the other person a GEDCOM file, to see what's on it they will have to upload it to a family tree programme, of which there are many, some free, some not.

Google "family tree programme" to see many options.

GR, Ancestry, FindMyPast, My Heritage, Roots Magic - to name only a few.

Has the person already started a tree somewhere online?