Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shelley Road, Preston

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 15:20

Not sure if I’m on the right board but here goes.
I wondered if there is any way I could find out who lived at 329 and 331 Shelley Road, Ashton, Preston Lancashire (PR2 2EJ ) in the late 1940’s to mid 1950’s.
Many thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 May 2023 15:27

The reference library for the area should have electoral registers that cover that period. They are searchable by address.

Not sure whether they might be on Ancestry but maybe someone else could tell you that.

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 May 2023 15:28

Electoral rolls would probably be best. You may not find them online.

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 15:31

I did think about the local reference library but unfortunately it’s closed for refurbishment and won’t be open again until sometime next year.
I’ll have to have a rethink.
Thank you.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 May 2023 15:35

Are you sure the houses were built by then? I've just checked the 1939 register on Findmypast and there are no house numbers over 300 in Shelley Road at that time.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2023 15:56

Ancestry doesn't have ERs for Ashton any earlier than those you'll find on the ERs here on GR (under "Search" at top right of this page) - ie - 2002 onwards.

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 16:04

Yes they were built then. Robert, Elizebeth and Constance Nightingale lived there but I’m not sure which. They were my grandparents and their daughter.

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 16:22

I’ve just found the death certificate for Robert which says he died at no. 321 so I think the row has been renumbered since the rest of the family moved out.
Many thanks to you all for your help.
Pat

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2023 16:23

Marriages Jun 1909 (>99%)
ANYON Elizabeth Preston 8e 1285
NIGHTINGALE Robert Preston 8e 1285

But no joy re online ERs.
Looks like you'll have to wait for your library to reopen.
Unless the books/records have been transferred elsewhere during the renovation work??

Robert Nightingale
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name Robert Nightingale
Gender Male
Marital Status Married
Birth Date 13 Aug 1882
Residence Date 1939
Address Lildene, Aldwych Drive
Residence Place Preston, Lancashire, England
Occupation L M S Railway Driver (Heavy Worker)
Line Number 13
Schedule Number 171
Sub Schedule Number 1
Enumeration District Nzoj
Borough Preston
Registration district 476a-4
Inferred Spouse
Elizabeth Nightingale
Household Members (Name) Age
Robert Nightingale 57
Elizabeth Nightingale56
This record is officially closed.

Constance born 1921 - I'm assuming deceased, although still closed on Ancestry ??
Possibly deceased 2008 Lancs, if she married John Law in 1946.

Looking at Shelley Road on Google Streetview, the numbering does seem a bit mixed up.

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 16:39

I’ve looked on Google and a row of fairly modern houses have been built on land just before 321 so they must have been renumbered. Elizabeth died in 1958 but had been taken to her daughters address so Shelley Road isn’t on her death certificate. Constance died on the 6th April, 2008 in Preston.
Thank you for the help
Pat

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2023 17:05

Electoral Rolls are at Lancashire Archives:

https://tinyurl.com/38s9j6bd

"Contact Details
We are happy to answer any questions you might have about our collections and how you can use them. You can contact us in the following ways:

By email: [email protected]

By telephone: 01772 533039 "
https://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/calmview/contact.aspx

PatW

PatW Report 31 May 2023 17:42

Thank you.