Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry DNA Ethnicity tweaked

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Sep 2023 14:20

Ancestry have retweaked the ethnicity results. I am now more Scots & Welsh than I was but it sems to imply that that might have something to do with my Channel Island heritage.

When I used the compare my results option I only match one region with my brother. We don't match on Greater London - the map shows Greater London as only being north. Not very good geography!!!

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 2 Oct 2023 02:21

I was originally 34% Scottish, which was no great surprise to me as I had a Scottish grandfather and have traced back several generations all in Scotland. But each time Ancestry have a tweak they knock a bit off my Scottish percentage, the latest has reduced it to only 7% Scottish. That's a pretty major difference, it makes me wonder how much guesswork they are using?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Oct 2023 08:37

As always it is down to those who test , they use a group of results, I think. Doesn’t help us make any sense of it I suppose.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Oct 2023 10:37

Adult grandson's results showed an Irish link in his very mixed heritage, so his Mum and I tested to see if we could identify that link, as I have a big 'Unknown' for one of my direct ancestors.
My results came back last week and although I now show 1% Irish link, Grandson has none :-S
I'm fairly sure that when my results were first received, I had no Irish link, as that was one of the first things I checked :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Oct 2023 11:33

1% is too faint a grace, probably very ancient. So I would discount it. Bit like my 1% Basque.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 3 Oct 2023 21:45

The 'standards' they use to compare DNA for areas are people who have ancestors who have lived in a particular area for a number of generations. I did volunteer for this but was never asked.
However I suppose that from time to time they will test more standards and rejig the results.