Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth and Death Look Up please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 21 Jul 2007 14:16

Please can someone look up the birth of Jessie Maud Steer, as I'd like to order her birth and death certs, I know she died in Lewes East Sussex in 1937, her married name was Heavens. I am trying to trace back her fathers side, he was Scottish and I haven't a clue where to start looking until I have names and places of birth. Jessie Maud Steer, year of birth 1879 born in West Hartlepool, Durham, England Thank you Gillie XX

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 14:17

Have you checked freebmd? As her birth was pre-1875, it may not have been registered........ Have you looked for the family on 1881 census? Reg

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2007 14:28

Is Steer her maiden name? I can't find a birth for that name in 1878, 1879 or 1880. Too much vino again Reg? Birth year is not pre 1875 !!! Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 14:28

Your original message stated her birth to be 1869!!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jul 2007 14:34

In that case I apologise Reg, as I didn't see the 1869, lol. Kath. x

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 14:49

Jessie Steer is listed in the Scottish 1891 census aged 12. Daughter of Edmund and Emma, born in England. Registration district of Edinburgh St Giles, : Jessie Steer Age: 12 Estimated birth year: abt 1879 Relationship: Daur (Daughter) Father's name: Edmund Mother's name: Emma Gender: Female Where born: England Registration Number: 685/4 Registration district: St Giles Civil Parish: Edinburgh St Cuthberts County: Midlothian Address: 11 Chapel St: Occupation: Scholar ED: 63 Page: 4 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number: 18 Line: 19 Roll: CSSCT1891_352 Household Members: Name Age Edmund Steer 30 Emma Steer 31 Jessie Steer 12 So looked like the family lived in Scotland. Edmund Steer was born in Edinburgh, a greengrocer, living 11 Chapel Street, born 1861. Emma, his wife, born England (not much help). Jessie's birth registration seems not to be in our BMDs. Alison

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 14:53

1901 census living in England. Edmund Steer Age: 41 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Emma Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil Parish: Brighton Ecclesiastical parish: Brighton St Peter and West Blatchington St Peter County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: West Brighton ED, institution, or vessel: 12 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 104 Household Members: Name Age John Martin 24 Frances Merton 19 Edmund Steer 41 Emma Steer 47 Says now wife Emma born in Dover. He's now a plumber, John Martin a boarder, Frances Merton a visitor born Essex, Stratford.

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 15:03

1881 census Edmund Steer Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Son Father's name: Edmund Mother's name: Marion Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil Parish: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: 8 Nelson St Education: Employment status: View image Occupation: Plumbers Laborer Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: St Peter ED, institution, or vessel: 13 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age James Brown 31 Edmund Steer 43 Edmund Steer 21 Marion Steer 40 Father Edmund here was born Brighton, Marion, Scotland. Son Edmund, Scotland, James Brown Scotland, miller out of employ. Living Nelson Street, Brighton. (Ooh, my g grandfather lived Nelson Row).

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 21 Jul 2007 15:06

Hi Everyone, sorry I went for a hair wash and got waylaid by my lads, Reggie, I kow her parents are probably Margaret and George, all I wanted was ref numbers to order certs, my original message was an estimated birth, I have since spoken to an older cousin who knew Jessie and apparently the grandparents of her were living in Edinburgh as the cousins mother used to go and stay with them as a child. Im not sure if she was an English or Scottish birth? The photos I have of 3 generations going back from Jessie all look 'very well to do' especially the one I have of Jessie as a child with her parents and dog. they are taken in the family garden. Gillie XX

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 15:07

1871 census. Edmund Steer Age: 11 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Son Father's name: Edmund Mother's name: Marian Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil Parish: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Disability: View image Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: St Peter ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 127 Household Members: Name Age Edmund Steer 33 Edmund Steer 11 Marian Steer 30 Looks like 31 Carlton Row, Brighton here, bricklayers labourer.

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 15:09

1861 Edmund Steer Age: 1 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Visitor Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil Parish: Brighton Town: Brighton County/Island: Sussex Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: View image Registration district: Brighton Sub-registration district: St Peter ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 252 Household Members: Name Age Emma Spratley 28 Emma Spratley 3 Francis Spratley 32 Edmund Steer 23 Edmund Steer 1 Marion Steer 20 In this census they are visitors of the Spratleys who are from Brighton. Edmund is a labourer. Mr Spratley a carter. Spratleys are living 3 Richmond Lane, Brighton.

Alison

Alison Report 21 Jul 2007 15:48

Jesse Steer 1877 Jul - Aug - Sept Vol 2b Page 303 Horsham, Sussex, West Sussex. Alison

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 16:12

If she was definitely born in West hartlepool, surely this is the family in 1881 Name: Jessie Steer Age: 3 Estimated birth year: abt 1878 Relation: Daughter Father's name: George Mother's name: Margaret Gender: Female Where born: West Hartlepool, Durham, England Civil Parish: Seaton Carew County/Island: Durham Country: England Street address: Button Manor Registration district: Hartlepool Sub-registration district: Hartlepool ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Mary Conlon 27 Hannah Foster 39 Sarah Morley 21 Ciara Seal 20 George Steer 52 b. Scotland George Carlyle Steer 19 b. W. Hartlepool Henry Foster Steer 1 b. W Hartlepool Jessie Steer 3 Margaret Steer 42 b. Stockton on Tees Her birth cert won't tell you anything about her father which isn't on the census return........ A more useful document to obtain would be George and Margaret's marriage cert, as it would tell you the name and occupation of his father. I'm assuming that you have Jessie's marriage cert, which leads you to her father's name????? Reg

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 16:16

Jessie's marriage reg'n.......... Walter Sydney Heavens 1902 Jul-Aug-Sep Brighton Sussex, East Sussex Jessie Maud Steer 1902 Jul-Aug-Sep Brighton Sussex, East Sussex Volume: 2b Page: 542 Reg

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 21 Jul 2007 16:19

No I haven't Reggie, thanks for advising me, I'd better get that before I go looking for birth and death certs, I'm still a bit useless at doing genealogy due to my memory loss, I forget things easily and have mountains of info to trawl through only to forget what I was originally looking for!! lol, I know we have some of the same Heavens names in our trees!! I don't know how closely related we would be. Cheers Reggie for your help, it's always greatfully recieved. Gillie XX

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 21 Jul 2007 16:30

Hi Reggie, Thank you, I have ordered the Marriage cert for more info, cheers for your advice. Gillie XX

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2007 17:24

Great...... When you get it, ask again for census lookups.......it will be interesting to see who her father was!! Reg

Forgetmenot

Forgetmenot Report 21 Jul 2007 17:44

Cheers Reg, it will be so lovely to put a name to the faces I have on photos, they do look very grand! I know a lot of photos are done in studios in those days but these are in a garden. Gillie XX