Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am in a muddle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 7 Jun 2007 12:23

Obtained my great grandmas birth cert 1864.Her mother was Sarah and father William.I have found great grandma on the census but her mum on all the census is Ann.Going through the census she had a sister Maria who at one stage called herself Ann then went back to Maria.There is also a marriage for a Ann and William 1858.No marriage for Sarah.Sarah is Marias sister.There must be a lie somewhere.Do i go by the birth cert or census.It seems a couple of people in the family have gone by the census but i have always gone by the birth cert? Annie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Jun 2007 12:29

Could you post some names and / or details of them in 1871, so that we can see the census? Maybe her mother Sarah died before 1871 and William remarried...to an Ann. Gwyn

ann

ann Report 7 Jun 2007 13:02

William Batley born 1836 Shoreditch.There is a marriage in Bethnal Green in 1858 of William Batley and Ann Buckley.The daughter my great grandma was Susan Batley born Bethnal Green 1864.Her birth cert says mother Sarah. Thanks Ann

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 7 Jun 2007 13:15

Did William register the birth? His mother would appear to have been Sarah - he might have been confused. I would go with her mother being Ann and threr being an error on the cert. I have one where the mother is given as Martha when she was Maria.

ann

ann Report 7 Jun 2007 13:18

Yes William did register the birth. Annie