Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, how do I keep 2 trees open at once?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2007 12:45

I seem to be having trouble keeping 2 trees open at the same time. A member has kindly allowed me to view their tree. I open it - look at what I need to - minimise it - then open my own tree to compare it with the other one. Then........argghhhh......when I try to bring up the members tree again it has disappeared into the unknown. I then have a right gurfuffle going back to shared trees, finding the members I want, reopening it - ohhh - you get the picture! Where am I going wrong? Can I keep 2 trees open at once? Does anyone know? Any help would be very much appreciated and may just save my sanity. (Doubtful - I know)

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 13 Apr 2007 13:11

HI, i dont think there is a way of doing it however i use FTM and can open my own tree on that one and open someone elses on GR then when i've made changes i can upload my FTM file onto GR hope that makes sense stephanie

Mark

Mark Report 13 Apr 2007 13:15

As above. It does work you just need to try opening the two at the same time

newsboy

newsboy Report 13 Apr 2007 14:58

I posted this in March. Using full tree view for multiple members trees, tabbed in Firefox. This technique uses tabbed browsing via Firefox. Has anyone tried making a group of members' trees simultaneously visible by using Firefox's manage bookmarks....putting the trees into a Bookmark Toolbar tab folder then bookmarking the new format family tree of those 'hot match' trees that are of interest....then running the full tree flash viewer for each one, to produce the full trees of one's own tree and those of the other members? I can get it to work when the website is quiet, but it seems to be pushing Firefox to it's limits and I am not sure if the flash viewer that GR is using is designed to support multiple webpages or if it sees them as the same webpage with different images. I feel I could explain this better, but I am not an IT professional. However I have compared two trees in this way with over 200 hot matches and the differences in details recorded such as DOB, name spellings, extra or missing children are very easy to spot. Maybe GR could provide us a write up on the best way to achieve this result. I think this is not possible with IE, unless one sets up multiple sessions, by logging on more than once.

newsboy

newsboy Report 13 Apr 2007 16:46

MG Within the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, I have six folders for various subjects...one folder is 'Genes Reunited Members' Trees', there are currently seven trees including my own and also the Genes Reunited Home Page and various genealogy websites....I do not know the actual limit for Firefox, but in another folder called 'Financials' I have about forty websites bookmarked. For trees about six I would say was the maximum workable limit as they all look similar....assuming they are 'hot matches'. To try to copy from tree to tree though, It would be better to log on to GR twice, either with Firefox or IE and restore down the windows of two trees and either arrange them side by side or top and bottom on the monitor.....unless one has two monitors....but that is unlikely and probably unnecessary. Just to recap, the separate trees are each bookmarked and placed in the desired folder and can be named and given descriptions as an aide memoire if necessary using the organise bookmarks facility. Sandy.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2007 17:50

Thank you so much everyone - you may just have finally saved my sanity after all! I'm really not familiar with Firefox but I will definately give it a go. You are all such nice people :-)

Karen

Karen Report 13 Apr 2007 18:22

Not sure if I have read your query wrong.... I simply open a new window (hold Ctrl button and press N) . A new window appears and I can do whatever I want in it without affecting the original window. That way I can have 2 trees opened at once. Karen

newsboy

newsboy Report 13 Apr 2007 20:18

MG You need to pre-load the trees into a folder...what I think you are doing is from GR home page going to Family tree....which will open a new window....each of these new windows containing members trees needs to be saved as a bookmark in your folder ( folders are made in 'Bookmarks' ...'Manage Bookmarks'. Step1 In Firefox, Go to View, click, select toolbars, ....is Bookmarks showing 'ticked', if not, tick it. Then you should see your folders. Step 2 (if required) make the folders. Step 3 Fill the folder with trees etc.... Step 4 Click on a folder and view the trees. Sandy.

Karen

Karen Report 13 Apr 2007 21:48

I know this is a real pain. I've found the easiest way is to use the march 2007 version, not the latest version.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Apr 2007 12:20

Nudge for Ian

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2007 12:28

Thanks I will try a few of those although i do not have firefox, why cant' it just be as simple as used to be? Thanks again Ian

Ian

Ian Report 21 Apr 2007 12:28

Karen Hall, I have just tried your method and it does what it says on the tin, thanks that was easy really, Ian

Margaret

Margaret Report 21 Apr 2007 15:41

All I do is 'right click' when I am opening the second tree and select 'Open Link in New Window' - then I have both versions available to compare.

Debra

Debra Report 29 Oct 2007 10:55

i just tried what karen hall above sudjested and IT WORKED

I simply open a new window (hold Ctrl button and press N) . A new window appears

really easy

thanks Karen

John

John Report 27 Oct 2020 14:37

Easy - Just right click on the tab with your family tree, select "Duplicate" then select "View other trees" then pick the one you want to open!
Regards
John ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Oct 2020 15:03

John
This thread is about 13 years old. Jane will have either worked it out or given up.