Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where can you hear the 'bow bells' ring from?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

blinky

blinky Report 14 Sep 2006 12:12

List all known places please......Serious question!

SRW

SRW Report 14 Sep 2006 12:17

Had that problem too. My sister was born within the sound of the bow bells and I have since discovered she was born in West Ham. Apparently they can be heard for miles around! Sandy

Sharon......

Sharon...... Report 14 Sep 2006 12:23

my sister was born in guys hospital, london, my mum says you can hear the bow bells from there. sharon

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2006 12:36

This thread will be of help:- ''''Help Within the Sound of Bow Bells'' - in which I posted this:- I saved this from the rootsweb London mailing list. Hope it is of interest. >My father was born in Tradescant Road, South Lambeth, London. I understand >that my grandmother could hear Bow Bells when he was born ... or so I was >told anyway. As Ken Boyce wrote, there was a lot of discussion of this topic on the list a few months back. As well as the URL he quoted, visit: http://www*.*steeljam*.*dircon*.*co*.*uk/cockney.htm This has a map showing the distance at which Bow Bells could be heard, from scientific research carried out in the early 90s. Much further north of the Thames than south--I don't pretend to understand why, but maybe there is a scientist on the list who can explain! However, the whole of Lambeth was within range. I was born in a little maternity clinic in Stoke Newington, at the furthest northern periphery of the bells' reach (well, if they had been in existence in 1950 it would have been), so just squeak in as a Cockney (Do what, guvnor? Knock it on the 'ead!). There was another site with detailed commentary on the survey and the map, but I haven't been able to find it. The chief imponderable is the difference background traffic noise makes. I *suspect* this is underestimated in the study. I remarked, during the earlier correspondence, that during my childhood in the late 50s/early 60s the Armistice Day cannon salute could be heard as far out as Palmers Green/Bowes Park, some 6-7 miles distant. It was Bow Bells that legendarily called Dick Whittington back, a similar distance. No chance now. There was fierce competition between London parishes over whose bells were the loudest/furthest-carrying, detailed in Peter Ackroyd's marvellous 'London: The Biography'.

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2006 17:27

nudge

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Sep 2006 18:07

I expect it also depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2006 18:36

Maid Marion Thanks for that excellent description of Bow Bells. Many people with East End ancestors claim they were born within the sound of Bow Bells but true or not? My mother always reckoned that many of the family were born within this sound, but birth certs show otherwise! Hope you get more thanks for this excellent coverage. Janet

Joy

Joy Report 14 Sep 2006 18:52

You're welcome .... thank goodness for rootsweb London mailing list ... :) I hope that people saw the thread that I nudged, too.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Sep 2006 19:37

Yes, You do get some gems on Rootsweb and I have found many gems from Family History Societies. I must have missed the other thread first time around as I have just been reading some of the comments there. Hope others read and see. Janet

blinky

blinky Report 14 Sep 2006 19:48

Thanks for helping My nan tells me that my grt grandad was born within hearing distance of the 'bow bells' But the only Leonard Barker that I can find is in Woolwich or Shoreditch...........and given I live in Wales how do I find this out?