Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marie Lloyd - Music hall legend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 15:28

Marie Lloyd was born Matilda Alice Victoria Wood and was the daughter of John and Matilda Wood. I have been googling all afternoon and found that her parents married in 1869. Her mother's maiden name was Matilda Mary Caroline Archer born 1851. I cannot however find anything at all about her father John Wood. Can anyone find the family in 1871 - my eyes have gone squiffy from trying. Many thanks, Lyla

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 15:29

This is them in 1881 by the way... 1881 3 Bath St, St Lukes, John Wood, 33, artifical florist, Bethnal Green Matilda, wife, 29, fancy trimming maker Matilda, dau, 11 John, 9 Alice, 7 Mary, 5 Daisy, 3 Rosette, 1

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Aug 2006 15:39

Is this the right birth registration Name: Matilda Alice V Wood Year of Registration: 1870 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Shoreditch County: London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 129 Maureen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2006 15:49

The only Matilda Wood I can find in the 1871 census with parents called John and Matilda, is an Ann Matilda Wood, but the other children don't seem to match the 1881 family. There is an Matilda Alice Wood with a father called John in Burnley as boarders on the 1871 census but the mother is called Susannah. Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 15:52

Hi Maureen Yes, I'm pretty certain that's the birth registration. I know it sound silly as there were so many Wood families in London but I would really like to find out more about her father John Wood in the very remote chance that he might be related to my Wood family tree. (stamps foot) I want a claim to fame too! Lyla

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Aug 2006 15:56

Can I join in with the foot stamping !!! LOL Most of my Wood side of the family in London are called William or Henry so can not lay claim to this John Wood. Maureen

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Aug 2006 16:00

Name: Matilda Mary C Archer Year of Registration: 1869 Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun District: Bethnal Green County: Greater London, London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 599 John Wood So that does not help with finding them in 1871 Maureen

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 16:08

Oooooh I've got a collection of Henry and Williams - were yours in East London? Were any of them plasterers? I've even got a John born c1851 which I thought I could claim to be Matilda's father but he is unmarried and living at home in 1871 - Bummer I have googled for hours but it doesn't look as if anyone out there knows about her ancestry.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2006 16:17

My Mothers partners grandmother was Marie Lloyd's dresser! Funnily enough my mums family were Archers from the East End.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 16:20

Pat, LOL - I'll take him! Seriously though, I wonder if he could be Marie Lloyds father? But then where are his wife and daughter?

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 16:24

Janet, I wonder if your Archers were related somehow. Seems quite possible. Oh how interesting. Now we have a waiter, the origins of a nursery rhyme and I also read somewhere today that she was friends with Mary Kelly (Jack the Ripper victim). Now I know for sure he is not related!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2006 16:25

The Eagle of the nursery rhyme is in Hoxton. Its a possibility that my paternal grandfather worked there. Its near the Britannia Theatre which I'm sure Marie Lloyd would have worked in. Theres also a Marie Lloyd pub in Great Chart Street near Old Street. Perhaps theres a link to that.

Wendy

Wendy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:30

Can't se them either in the 1871 census they are not with Matilda Wood nee Archers family . Here is a marriage for young Matilda Percy Charles Courtenay 1887 Oct-Nov-Dec Shoreditch London, Middlesex Matilda Alice V Wood 1887 Oct-Nov-Dec Shoreditch London, Middlesex Volume 1c Page 190 Wendy

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2006 16:32

I doubt it. Archers a common name and having looked at my lot in all the census for them there are no Matildas. Chart Street is where my mums Macarees lived.

Wendy

Wendy Report 27 Aug 2006 16:45

And look at this for an entry of marriage, I dont think she knew what she wanted to be or who she was. Scroll though you'll see what I mean. Frederick James Clow 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Matilda Alice V Courtenay 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Alec Hurley 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Alexander Hurley 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Alice Lewsley 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Marie Lloyd 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Matilda Alice V Wood 1906 Oct-Nov-Dec Hampstead Greater London, London, Middlesex Wendy

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Aug 2006 16:50

How funny - if in doubt register yourself under all of your names - wish my ancestors had done that. Still trying to find the right page for the Eagle pub on Ancestry!