Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another brain required to solve the mystery of Art

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 18 Aug 2006 18:05

I need help!! I have been trying to find my great grandfather, Arthur Morris for over 2 years and my head is buzzing. This is what I know about him as facts: 1. He died on 1/11/1914 at the Battle of Coronel on the HMS Good Hope 2. The CWGC records his mother as Elizabeth Morris. 3. Arthur married Florence Maud Stringer on 9/1/1907 at Bham registry office. On the marriage certificate the father is shown as Alfred Morris (decd) I have found Arthur and Elizabeth (shown as Betsy)on the 1881 census. There are 2 brothers, Alfred and William. Arthur is stated as being 5 months old, born in west Smethwick. I have found Arthur again on the 1901 on a vessel in Dorset. This ties in with what my dad told me; that Arthur had been a regular seaman and then rejoined when the 1st world war broke out. He is shown as being about 20 born in west Bromwich. I can find Alfred and Elizabeth (b1848) on the 1873 census which seems to suggest that Arthurs marriage certificate is correct. I got a copy of his naval record, which shows his date of birth as 14/1/1881. I checked 1837online and found a birth registered for Arthur Morris in West Bromwich in March Q 1881. Today I have got the certificate back and the father is shown as Joseph!! They are living at 32 Pleasant Street West Bromwich. Please please please....can anyone help me find MY Arthur Morris?? Thank you Sophie I have contacted Bham and Sandwell registry offices, neither could find a birth with parents Alfred and Elizabeth in 1880/1/2/3

Tom

Tom Report 15 Apr 2022 11:41

Hi Debbie, I realise you posted this message a long time ago but hopefully you'll receive this message. I also have a relative who was killed on HMS Good Hope and so I often trawl ebay to see if I can find anything relating to him.
The reason I'm messaging you is because at the moment there is an auction of personal belongings of your Great Grandfather on there, here is the link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Sailors-Medals-and-Love-Story-from-HMS-Good-Hope-which-Sank-in-1914-/194971821774?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Again I really hope you get this message.
All the best Tom.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Apr 2022 11:57

To try to contact Debbie, click on her name and send a message

She is unlikely to be expecting a reply on here after 16 years.......especially as there are no other posts on the thread.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Apr 2022 11:57

Welcome to Genes.

Genes do not give out notifications if there is a posting. However the do notify you if you have a pm.
Click on Debbie’s name and send her a pm. If she has the same email address she will be notified.

As it such an important message I have also sent her a pm.

Maddie

Maddie Report 15 Apr 2022 15:01

there is a tree on ancestry called debs faily tree, tree owner SOPHIE999
Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom but she only signed in over a year ago
should i try sending a message ?

Tom

Tom Report 15 Apr 2022 23:52

Wow you guys and gals are amazing! I didn't really expect any sort of response at all but it's really great to see people picking up on this thread. I've sent the same message to Debbie directly on here and on ancestry to hopefully find her. It was always going to be a long shot but when I see collections like that on ebay I always wonder if theres a chance to contact the family.
Anyway thanks again for you're help chaps!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Apr 2022 08:36

I have just checked this morning and Debbie has not yet opened my pm.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Apr 2022 00:47

Interesting that the original post was by a Sophie Barker, but clicking on the names says it's Debbie Bennett.

I did find a Deborah Bennett who is the great grand daughter of Arthur. I can send you her address if interested. She hasn't appeared on thee very recent electoral rolls but I don't see that the house has sold.

Rose