Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Herta - Heinz Found see page 11. Happy Ending Than

Page 0 + 1 of 14

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 13:59

AS YOU CAN SEE THIS POST STARTED IN 2006, BUT AT THIS TIME (REMEMBERANCE DAY) I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO SOME WHO DID NOT SEE IT THE FIRST TIME AROUND, SO I AM POSTING IN MEMORY OF HERTA, HER FAMILY AND ALL WHO SUFFERED INJURY OR LOSS THROUGH WAR.

AS THE Nazi terror spread throughout Germany in the late 1930s, a teenage girl fled to South London for safety.

Her story was lost until a suitcase containing a treasure trove of photos and letter was found in an attic.
A long-lost horde of letters and photographs from a Second World War refugee lay forgotten in an attic for more than 60 years.
But the amazing story of its owner has been pieced together by Lambeth Archives staff who sifted through the documents.

They belonged to a Jewish teenager who fled Nazi Germany shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War.

Herta Loebenstein was only 17 when she found sanctuary in South London.
A suitcase full of letters, family photos and even school reports were taken out of Germany by Herta when she came to stay with a relative in Croxted Road in East Dulwich.

From there she moved to another house in Half Moon Lane, Herne Hill, where she worked as a servant and where the suitcase was found last year.
Archivist Jon Newman said: 'We were putting together a book about the home front in Lambeth and someone approached a colleague with these papers.'
The letters, including some written from her family in Germany and others from her fiance in New York, are full of family gossip and domestic detail. But they also contain poignant reminders of the troubles facing Herta's family back in Germany. Her dad, Karl, writes to her of his hopes that her sister Ruth will be able to join her in the safety of London.

But Ruth never made that journey and died in a death camp at Auschwitz along with her parents in 1943.
Also in the case is a sheet handed out to refugees who arrived in London warning them to 'avoid talking German in public', the stern warning under-lined for emphasis.
But Herta's fate remains a mystery. The last letter in the case is dated July 1940 and was from her fiance Heinz Boley who had escaped to New York.

There is also a postcard from the Jewish Refugees Committee about Herta's plans to go to the US to join him.
Mr Newman said: 'We don't know what happened to her. She just vanished. Maybe she got to America, maybe she died in an accident, she could even have gone back to Germany. We just don't know.'

Snowdrops in Bloom

Snowdrops in Bloom Report 19 Jun 2006 14:08

Carol that's a very interesting story you've found. It would be fantastic if someone here had knowledge of her or could find her. Here's hoping for a happy ending. Snowdrops

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 14:15

Name: Heinz Boley Arrival Date: 23 Sep 1938 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1920 Age: 18 Gender: Male Port of Departure: Bremen, Germany Place of Origin: Germany Ship Name: Columbus Port of Arrival: New York, New York Nativity: Hebrew Line: 7 Microfilm Serial: T715 Microfilm Roll: 6222 Page Number: 93 Friend's Name: Julius Weinberg Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Birth Location: Germany Birth Location Other: Offenbach

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jun 2006 14:49

We need someone with the US Ancestry records!! What about the Jewish genealogy site? That has a search facility for peeps in USA

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jun 2006 14:56

Well its more likely she would have married in USA - but it mentions correspondence about travelling to New York - Im sure she would be traceable - through the Jewish Genealogical site.

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jun 2006 15:06

New York Passenger Lists Record Immigration View Image Name: Herta Lobenstein Birth: year - location Birth: year - location Birth: year - location More: See all information... Someone must have the world de luxe sub???

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Jun 2006 15:56

Is this the one Heather? it is to early i think. Exact Search Results - New York Passenger Lists You searched for Herta Lobens* Refine your search All Immigration ResultsViewing 1-1 of 1 View Record Name Arrival Date Estimated Birth Year Gender Port of Departure Place of Origin Ship Name View Ship Image View Passenger List View Record Herta Lobenstein 15 Oct 1938 abt 1913 Female Hamburg, Germany Germany New York

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 16:10

The letter in the suitcase was I think dated 1940 (not sure) but as you can see above her BF arrived in 1938 and wrote to her at Dulwich.

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 19 Jun 2006 16:15

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but it seems Herta died in 1940. On the commonwealth war graves site is an entry for Hertha Loebenstein, aged 20, civillian war dead. She died on 13/9/1940 and the listing is below. 'German refugee; of 72 Half Moon Lane. Daughter of Charles Loebenstein, of Hanau, Main, Germany. Injured 12 September 1940, at 72 Half Moon Lane; died at Dulwich Hospital.' She is buried at Camberwell cemetery. What a sad ending. Helen

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 19 Jun 2006 16:17

This cant be the right person. If she received a letter from fiance while still in London in 1940. She cant have gone to New York in 1938. Also point of departure would have been London not Hamberg. Sylvia.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 16:19

No I think Helen is right, I feel so sad! she did live in half moon lane. Carolx

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Jun 2006 16:24

How sad but well found Helen

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 19 Jun 2006 16:25

Hi Carol Would it be worth contacting the paper with the information. They might be interested in doing a continuation piece with details. It does seem so sad that the whole family seems to have been wiped out, especially when they thought Herta would be safe in England. I presume she died as a result of an air raid, which makes it even more ironic. Helen

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 16:29

Thanks Helen can you tell me what site to go to view these details. Carolx

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 19 Jun 2006 16:34

Hi Carol The web address is www*cwgc*org, replacing the stars with dots. Then click on search site on the right. Just putting in Herta's surname will bring up the entry. Helen

Heather

Heather Report 19 Jun 2006 16:40

Even sadder that it seems people were writing to her after her death. I suppose when you think about it, why else would this bag full of belongings still be there. Oh do write to the paper though Carol, just to settle it. Of course, she may still have relatives in the world who would like these items.

Joan

Joan Report 19 Jun 2006 16:52

What a team ! Well done everybody but so sad. Carole let us know how you get on if you contact the paper, I'm sure they will be interested. Joan

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Jun 2006 17:14

Have just sent email with these details to the newspaper, I will keep you all informed. Carolx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jun 2006 17:31

I wonder if Heinz ever knew what happened to her or if he wondered if she had met someone else. I wonder what happened to HIM? .....perhaps the next quest? Gwyn

Darksecretz

Darksecretz Report 19 Jun 2006 18:24

hiya'll have been following this thread with interest, did look but couldnt find much, well done everyone!!!!!! maybe heinz is th next question, Julie