Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record Offices - Dress Code? and Situations Vacant

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:12

I have seen lots of thread on here asking what peeps should take to the RO on their first visit...........But no threads suggesting what we should WEAR??? Wouldn't wish to look out of place, so maybe a few tips please!!!!!!!!! Happy Hunting - Merry x

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2006 21:16

Nothing special ! ..............I go in my jeans and tee shirt.!! Something comfortable if you expect a long day ! Coats can be locked in Lockers ... along with bags etc.... mobile phone's switched off. (obviously) Sandwhiches and a flask come in handy for a 'long haul' ! Make sure you take some change for the photocopiers if required ........ Pencil and paper is all you should need !

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:18

Do you think maybe something a bit TWEEDY??? LOL!! and I wondered about what shade of anorak I should get? Merry (sorry officer.....no, I have not been drinking alcohol!)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 May 2006 21:20

Be sure to wear cotton drawers Merry dear - some of these places have horrid plastic-covered seats which can induce embarrassing wet patches should you be seated for any length of time. Olde Crone

Michael

Michael Report 7 May 2006 21:21

Some notes are also helpful so you can compare what you find (or hope to) with what you already know (or think you do). As far as clothes are concerned, more or less anything goes as far as I know; I've turned up at the FRC and LLGC in jeans and a fairly tatty jumper without anyone batting an eyelid. I wouldn't advise dressing for the beach though, since they're not always particularly well heated. I usually found I had so much to do I didn't have time for my sandwiches... ate them on the train back!

Janice

Janice Report 7 May 2006 21:21

And take a cardy! The air conditioning can be quite chilly sometimes lol

Helen

Helen Report 7 May 2006 21:22

OOoohh yes, those plastice chairs give you itchy legs when you wear nylon slacks........so my Gran told me LOL

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 May 2006 21:24

Sarah I was down in London a few weeks ago at the Guildhall and couple of other places doing some research. I live as you know in Buckinghamshire so had to catch the train in hubby was going to buy me a first class ticket so I wore a trouser suit and heels. LOL (I know your love for hair and clothes)!!! My god did I look out of place someone actually came up to me thinking I was working there!!!! My advice just go very casually dressed - bit like the school run LOL janey

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 7 May 2006 21:25

Clean drawers in case you get run down by a badly driven Fiche reader! Oh and something tha covers your cleavage ( if you have one) just in case.... Funny folk pop in our to keep warm

The Ego

The Ego Report 7 May 2006 21:26

I had to have a CARN card no pens,pencils only a sweatband for your right wrist after all the frantic widing and unwinding of microfiche reels.

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:27

Right, so Kays sandals - check American tan pop socks - check Navy crimpeline (sp?) trousers - check Cotton knicks - check T shirt - check Beige Cardi - check glasses on a rope - check Green or beige anorak? Hat of any sort???! Merry

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:29

Sweatband - check No need for cleavage coverage, Jess.......!! Remembers not to have heels on my Kays sandals Merry

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 May 2006 21:30

Loose Cargo pants with lots of pockets in which to secrete stolen fiche/film/priceless original documents... Clean underwear in case they stripsearch you as you waddle out... (Well, SOMEONE must pinch the stuff - all the GRO fiche beginning with HOL- has vanished from my Records Office) Olde Crone

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:31

The HOL fiche are in the chest of drawers in your back bedroom, OC.......! (saw then at the Xmas party) merry

Conan

Conan Report 7 May 2006 21:32

If you are going to the Essex RO at Chelmsford then take an Arctic Survival Kit..................... the air conditioning seems to be permanantly set at minus 10 !

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 21:36

Arctic survival suit - check Small battery operated plastic fan (in case above not req) - check Merry

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 May 2006 21:56

Don't forget the ear plugs so you're not distracted by the person next to you who either mumbles constantly, reads out loud everything they see or keeps shrieking in delight when you can find nothing!! maggie

Merry

Merry Report 7 May 2006 22:08

Ooooh yes, Maggie.....you see, I would NEVER have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense! Hubby is the one they let into RO's usually, rather than me......When he punched the air after trawling 250 parishes looking for my 4xg-grandparents marriage (their's devotion for you!!) and found it, there was audible tutting!! But he didn't care a jot! (and they still let him in the next time!) Merry

Alan

Alan Report 7 May 2006 22:15

I don't care WHAT the code is. I am NOT wearing a dress to please anyone. I just do not have the legs for it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 May 2006 22:18

That's very unfair Alan, Many a woman doesn't have the legs for a dress nor the butt end for trousers - but we're not allowed to go in naked!!!! maggie