Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i think this tips board is beginning to lose its..

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ed

Ed Report 26 Apr 2006 08:43

way and is becoming a general topics forum. a pity really as there has been and continues to be some capable and credible input from a large number of contributors. i,ve been fortunate in having been in contact with just a few of these folk and am grateful for the help, advice and guidance i,ve recieved. Up-date: an email from a friend alerted me as to the number of response,s, my original observation,s had elicited. i,ve scanned a handful of reply,s and realise that some people read my post but did not grasp what i was saying. my view has not changed, this board is losing it,s way.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Apr 2006 09:17

well when you renew you wont be giving any more info than what you already did when you joined the site. Your choice tho if you find Genes has been a site you would like to continue with. I have had lots of help from members ,including from,a Canandian member, info from the 1911 Canadian census of my mums sister who went to Canada as a Home Child in 1909. Thats something I wouldnt have got from elsewhere. Shirley

Mandy in Wiltshire

Mandy in Wiltshire Report 26 Apr 2006 09:26

Sorry Ed, I have to say that I disagree with you. I find the Tips board an extremely useful resource for my own research, and a good place to offer help to anyone else who might need it. The odd thread appears that could be classed as 'general' but on the whole, I'd say that virtually all the threads on the Tips board are relevant and in the correct place. If you don't think that all this valuable information and assistance is worth a tenner a year, then don't renew - but I don't think you'll get anything to match it at that price anywhere else! Mandy

Merry

Merry Report 26 Apr 2006 09:38

Can't see the point in posting if you won't be reading the replies. Surely this is also clogging the board and is neither a tip nor a request for a lookup?? (**Slightly tongue in cheek!'') Merry

Heather

Heather Report 26 Apr 2006 09:41

Ed, this is the best £9 (or £7.50 if you haggle) that Ive ever spent. Not only have I made countless cyber mates - who have often been better for non-genealogy support than 'real' mates but I have saved hundreds of pounds by kind people sending me info - finding me stuff I could never possibly have even understood how to look for. And people who have searched for mistrans for me, in their own time under their own steam and then sent me the info have been fantastic - absolutely incredible the kindness of members on here. (And I have seen this done for you many a time, Ed!) There arent many general threads on here and the ones there are are usually a light hearted bit of fun which most of us on here appreciate. This site and its members have been fundamental to any success Ive had in my research and Im very grateful to them all.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Apr 2006 09:43

I can't see any threads on Page 1 (other than this one! lol) that are not relevant to tracing family history? Merry

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 26 Apr 2006 09:56

personally I think this is a wonderful website. I only started researching my family tree in Feb this year.I added a couple of messages on the trying to find board with information that was scant to say the least, BUT the replies are what started my tree off.Now when I am pulling my hair out trying to find an elusive relative I know that if I ask for help several people will be there to lend a hand with mistranscriptions or suggestions for marriages or births.It's a wonderful community I am proud to be part of it Linda

Carter

Carter Report 26 Apr 2006 10:09

sorry i cant agree ed, everyone on this site has been fabulous in giving me help and pointing me in the right way. i would be well and truly stuck without them. sometime there may be a general posting but it is only to lighten things up . its the best value for money site i know and full a good hearted people love linda

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 26 Apr 2006 10:13

Well membership renewal dates are on the left hand side of the screen aren't they. I'm looking at mine right now,full member until 12 May 07 On that sad note (for you lot not me)............ Glen

Heather

Heather Report 26 Apr 2006 10:26

Your turnips will be sprouting by then Glen.

Merry

Merry Report 26 Apr 2006 10:29

Heather, I hope you are not drifting from the Genealogy Tips aspect of this thread onto something........well........more GENERAL?????!!!!!! LOL Merry

Carter

Carter Report 26 Apr 2006 10:35

yeas got me to unitl 30th jan 07 so i will be pestering you for help love linda x x

Ang

Ang Report 26 Apr 2006 10:42

I think that without those lighter moments that break up the brick wall most of us stumble upon at sometime we would all go crazy. Often after a bit of a laugh or gossip you have renewed energy to go back and try & break down that wall. I am sure that without the lighter side the amount of people who give up would increase. Many of the lighter topics are often still connected to the family research. I personally like to hear that i am not the only one with so many ag labs. Its great to hear that I am not the only person who has every male ancestor named after his father etc etc.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2006 10:54

Déjà vu. Unfortunately!! Ed, this is an argument that seems to resurface intermittenly. Most of the folk who are found on this board spend a lot of time here on behalf of others. As someone who, in the past has often spent hours in one sitting doing look-ups I can appreciate the need to take a break and have a bit of fun with others on the board. Jumping between serious threads and fun ones gives the grey matter and the eyes a bit of a rest. And from experience, I'd sooner have a break here, than go on the gen board and be bombarded with threads full of hostile contention, an all to regular occurance which yet again happened last night. One or two threads to chill out on aren't taking up a lot of space, and they certainly don't interfere with those requesting help on the board. Rebs

Merry

Merry Report 26 Apr 2006 11:15

Have to agree with all that Alice says, 101% (esp the part about the Gen Board, which is virtually a no-go-zone for us mortals on Tips who pay or subs to use the whole site, inc General, but are too scared to do so!) Maybe Ed thinks we are not working hard enough to find his Fenn ancestors?????!!!!!!!! Merry **rushing out now before I get clouted**

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Apr 2006 11:24

lol Merry.!!! *passes out from shock*

Barbara

Barbara Report 26 Apr 2006 11:30

Well I think my £9 membership was money very well spent, and I think this board is great, I spend a lot of time lurking here picking up information.............long may it continue....... ........Barbara.............

English Bob

English Bob Report 26 Apr 2006 11:42

.....Top site for information, tips and soundings....best place for opinions on ancestor searching is where the searchers are... Regards, Bob, in the never ending quest for Thomas begat Thomas

Heather

Heather Report 26 Apr 2006 11:42

Just returned - I would add guys that even the 'humerous' threads and yes, I know I am guilty - but even those usually have very valid genealogical points. The hilarious amusing deaths thread - that is the first thread I ever contributed to on here because I had been too nervous with all these brilliant people to even venture a message before. How many people I wonder have made their first steps into this community when they see a funny thread and realise we is people just like them. I know a couple of people actually said that on one of the recent ones - I think it was the ag lab one. But who can fault that as being genealogically valid - I bet many of us, including me, learnt about occupations from that thread. Same with the amusing deaths - how many of us knew about the terms used on death certs til that one and the 13 commandments - that was absolutely fascinating and very very worthwhile for newbies to read? Even my Fanny had its point - about distribution of names. I am sure we all enjoy a good old larf now and then and if we are also learning from it (ok, excluding Glens turnips in his pants) then what is the harm?

Sarah

Sarah Report 26 Apr 2006 11:48

I have to say, I'm not a regular poster but I read the boards every day and I have found so much useul info its untrue! I have literally taught myself research techniques I would never have ahd a clue about from the tips board. I also enjoy reading people's little personal stories as they ask for help and find their rellies. When I have asked for help its been fantastic! Keep it up I say:)