Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any suggestion for the name Marion born Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Isobel

Isobel Report 13 Mar 2006 15:34

I have a Marion Crawford born 1850/51 according to 1851 and 1861 census for Hamilton Scotland. I have found a marriage certificate and the death certificate but cannot trace birth. I am wondering if maybe the name could be registered differently any suggestions Please Isobel

Isobel

Isobel Report 13 Mar 2006 16:21

Do you mean miss out first name and list parents and see what comes up Isobel

Isobel

Isobel Report 13 Mar 2006 16:50

Karen I have put in female with parents surnames but nothing matching. I have came to conclusion that birth possibly not registered. Thanks for your help Isobel

Rachel

Rachel Report 13 Mar 2006 16:57

Isobel This site might help with alternative names www.whatsinaname.net

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 13 Mar 2006 17:55

Mary ann, Mary anne, Maryann, Maryanne, Marian and my favourite, Martha!

Fergie

Fergie Report 13 Mar 2006 22:11

I have the same problem. My Mary ann was born around 1835 and was as an adult known as Marion. I cannot trace her birth in the OPR but the census shows her as born in Ayr. I am going to write to the Catholic Church in Ayr to try to trace her baptism as later siblings were baptised in Greenock to where the family later moved and the Church there had an archivist who looked up the records in return for a small donation. Best of luck.

Rachel

Rachel Report 14 Mar 2006 06:37

Marion can also be Sarah! Just to confuse matters. I'm missing quite a few baptisms on Scotlands People before Civil Registration started. Frustrating isn't it.

Georgina

Georgina Report 14 Mar 2006 07:59

Isobel what were her parents names? Georgina.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Mar 2006 08:13

Hilary Hellen/Ellen can also believe it or not be Nelly xxhugxx

Derek

Derek Report 14 Mar 2006 09:18

Are you sure that Marion was female? I read somewhere that Marion used to be a mans name. I'm not sure how far back that was. Derek

Sheila

Sheila Report 14 Mar 2006 09:24

I have a relative shown as Nellie on the 1891 and 1901 census She was Helen when she was born and when she married and Ellen when she died - confusing !!!! Sheila

Kate

Kate Report 14 Mar 2006 10:19

What does it give for her parents' names on her marriage and death certs? (Or had she moved to England by then? Though you would still have her father's name from the marriage cert in that case.) Kate.

Kate

Kate Report 14 Mar 2006 10:21

Having reread your messages at the start of the thread, no, her birth wouldn't have been registered as she was born before 1855, but it could well be that she was baptised and the baptism register for wherever she was baptised is not available online? Kate.

Isobel

Isobel Report 15 Mar 2006 17:28

I must thank everyone for the replies. You do spend a fortune on Scotlands People and to come up with no result is very annoying, I have came to the conclusion that they did not register the birth as she had two brothers on the census also and their births I cannot locate either The marriage certificate and death certificate state Marion as name no other name mentioned Georgina Her parents were Thomas Crawford and Helen Brown Thanks again Isobel

Maid Marian of

Maid Marian of Report 15 Mar 2006 17:31

I am a MariAn of scottish descent try spelling the name my way it may help. Marian

Georgina

Georgina Report 15 Mar 2006 20:29

Isobel according to the IGI these are the children born to Thomas Crawford & Helen Brown... 1. MARION CRAWFORD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 1851 Calder, Lanark, Scotland 2. THOMAS CRAWFORD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 01 AUG 1859 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland 3. JANE CRAWFORD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 13 MAR 1855 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland 4. ALEXANDER CRAWFORD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 1853 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland 5. MARGARET CRAWFORD - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 03 NOV 1861 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland I have just looked at Jane Crawford's birth certificate on Scotlands people because she was born in 1855 you get more details than any other year and it says she was the 4th child born so there is at least 1 missing from the IGI. Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 15 Mar 2006 20:42

Isobel Thomas & Helen married in 1839 so they waited a long time to have children.. THOMAS CRAWFORD Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: Death: 18 SEP 1876 Burial: Marriages: Spouse: HELEN BROWN Marriage: 20 JUN 1839 Holytown, Lanark, Scotland Husband Age at Marriage: 22 Wife Age at Marriage: 18 Georgina.

Isobel

Isobel Report 15 Mar 2006 21:32

Georgina Thanks I have the details from the census and the other child was James born about 1841 Isobel

Kate

Kate Report 15 Mar 2006 22:56

Isobel - as I said before, they could not register her birth because the birth registration system had not started when she was born! The IGI entry for her birth is just 'form submitted by a member of the LDS church', so it doesn't really tell us anything. Kate.