Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the saga of ella macdonald my story up date(10-

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 21:35

for those of you on genes who over the last year have helped in my search for ella macdonald (my g,great grandmother)thank you.as you know ive been searching for her for a long time,i had small bits of info to start withlike my grandfathers birth certificate(he was born out of wedlock when ella was only 16)and also the place that he was born(17beaconsfield st liverpool)family legend said that ella was a maid in the sefton park workhouse,(and her occupation on the birth certificate states that she was a maid/domestic)whats the problem!you may ask, well after my grandfathers birth couldnt find any record of ella,infact the only record that states that she ever exsisted is her name on the birth certificate(and believe me ive looked everywhere at great expence to myself and other peopleon genes who have helped me.my last hope was to contact the liverpool records office and ask them to do a search for me which they will do for a fee of £16 (i was convinced they would come up with something)the letter arrived in the post today,they where very sorry but nothing could be found(where the hell did she go?)my grandfather was adopted sometime in 1915 but she would have to had to carry on working to keep herself her name must be somewhere,all the records office could give me was a ref num to the toxteth park workhouse 614 sef 1/4/4 what is that?(can any one help me with that ref?) of course i know ella exsisted because she was my g,grandmother and mother of my grandfather but finding her has become very difficult, the reason for my writing this thread is to ask anyone out there if they can offer any ideas as to where i might go from here. thanks to all who read this any ideas will be gladly received love suexx story updated 10-10-05 for all the people who helped me,alter ego,teresa from wirrel and ann sent for the certificate of marriage for issabella mcdonald and john olivery(one of you got that for me) and the certificate of the death of andrew mcdonald in 1908, the issabella wasnt mine,she was 36yrs old at the time of marriage and had come from a well off family(so that went in the cupboard with the rest of the issabella macdonalds,could start my own site for unwanted certificates) the death cer looked promising andrew macdonald age36 died in hos cause of death bleeding ulcer,occupation dock lab(which would tie in nicely,and people changed there jobs reg) address given 5 gray st toxteth park(they could have movedbetween 1901 and 1908) no wifes name given as he died in hos, cant look on census for address because it was 1908 so will have to wait until i go to liverpool again,so for everyone who helped me thanks im on my way(i think) best wishes suex

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Sep 2005 21:43

Oh Sue, I wish I sould help. The trouble with ancestors was that most of them had legs. If only they stayed still! Jim (Born in Shropshire, raised in London, Bromley, West Hartlepool. lived in Southampton, Epsom, Birmingham and Gosport & will probably die while away on holiday.)

Merry

Merry Report 27 Sep 2005 21:44

I presume you have this marriage cert and that it's someone else?? Surname Forename Spouse District Page No Event Quarter Year Macdonald Ella...... Brookes Toxteth Park.8b 312 Marriage 1 1916 The same couple had one child by 1920.... Surname Forename Mothers maiden name District Page No Event Quarter Year Brookes Beryl Macdonald Toxteth Park.8b 199 Birth 4 1916 Merry

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 21:45

nudge

The Ego

The Ego Report 27 Sep 2005 21:48

Theres a site somewhere in the dark dank annals of my curious brain that has a large bias towards liverpool workhouses and industrial schools...the name is something like missing links.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 21:48

dear monty, yes i have that certificate but the bride ella macdonald was a widow so the macdonald would have been the dead husbands name love suexx

Merry

Merry Report 27 Sep 2005 21:50

What a pity - Strange that widow Ella seems to have given her previous married name and not her maiden name when registering the birth of their child............. But perhaps it's a different couple and their baby Beryl? Merry

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 21:50

dear alta ego , I WILL LOOK THAT ONE UP THANKS SUEXX

The Ego

The Ego Report 27 Sep 2005 21:51

this sort of thing is right up my street but i have one major disability-absorbing big chunks of text-my head starts to burn after the 4th line and steam comes out my ears,the head drops,and my face lands in my chicken pie.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 21:53

DEAR MONTY,i meant that the certificate wasnt the right one<it was another ella macdonald not my one suexxxx

The Ego

The Ego Report 27 Sep 2005 21:54

its not missing links Suzanne,give me a mo-try and remember.

Merry

Merry Report 27 Sep 2005 22:05

Sorry Suzanne, We have our wires crossed - I did realise what you meant!! Shall go back in my hole now! (what I meant was; it's funny that there was a widow Macdonald marrying Mr Brookes and also a Mr Brookes having a child with a woman who gives her MAIDEN name as MacDonald.....but must presumably be a co-incidence......) Merry

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 22:05

DEAR JACKIE,the ella on the marriage certificate that we are talking about was an ella macdonald married thomas brookes in liverpool 1916 THAT ELLA WAS 32 YERARS old and owned a number of coffee houses(i know because ive got the certificate) my ella was 16 and she was a maid (so i know its not the right ella) sorry about the text something wrong with this computer keyboard bestwishes suexx

The Ego

The Ego Report 27 Sep 2005 22:07

SUZANNE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> type in>>>> industrial schools the link is the one that has MISSING-ANCESTORS in it.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 22:11

MONTY, SORRY DIDNT READ YOUR THREAD PROPLEY, IVE NEVER COME ACROSS THAT BEFORE, but my ella didnt give fathers name on birth certificate< and my grandfather was born in 1915 ON THE 21ST FEB(SORRY ABOUT LARGE TXT SOMETHING WRONG WITH COMPUTER KEYBOARD) COULD YO PLEASE GIVE THAT REF NUM AGAIN(WILL LOOK IT UP quite excited by that one) THANKS SUEX

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 22:15

THANKS ALTA WILL LOOK THAT ONE UP TOMORROW SUEXX

Merry

Merry Report 27 Sep 2005 22:16

Do you mean this one? Surname Forename Mothers maiden name District Page No Event Quarter Year Brookes Beryl Macdonald Toxteth Park.8b 199 Birth 4 1916 I expect it is the widow lady and her new spouse who have had a baby and on registering it she has messed up the names..........(there's me presuming the mother did the registering! lol). Anyway, if it is the widow and new spouse she SHOULD have registered Beryl with baby's mother's name ''Ella Brookes, late MacDonald, formerly XYZ''. And it's the maiden name (XYZ) that should have been put in the index, rather than her previous married name of MacDonald. Merry

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 27 Sep 2005 22:23

DEAR MERRY, OH FORGOT TO SAY MY ELLA HAD A BOY NOT A GIRL(ronald macdonald was born in 1915 MY GRANDFATHER) SO ITS NOT MY ELLA SO CONFUSING ISNT IT, BUT THANKS FOR YOUR HELP SUEXXX

Merry

Merry Report 27 Sep 2005 22:26

No you didn't forget to say your Ella had a boy.......... Lets not worry about Beryl any more....I wasn't saying she was anything to do with your Ella, but Beryl's registration was a mistake on the part of the Ella Macdonald, widow, for whom you have the marriage cert, who ISN'T yours!!! Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 27 Sep 2005 22:28

Suzanne Merrys trying to see if she got married and had other kids-dont presume your grandfather was her only child.