Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP with looking for the needle in the Jones hays

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 12 Jul 2005 23:33

Hi has anybody any ideas on how to find out where my grandad was born and his family.I am completely at a loss as to know where to find info all i have on him is as follows His name Edward James Jones born about 1895 his father was Edward Arthur Jones. He married my grandmother in june 1917 in Fulham he was 23 then.He died at the aged of 29 Feb 1924 i found that out this year as i was invited to a memorial service for him and girls that got killed in the same explosion at slade green,Crayford.Can not seem to find out anything and as my dad was only 2 months old nobody remembers anything.Any help would be appreciated to point me in right direction. Regards Christine

Deborah

Deborah Report 12 Jul 2005 23:49

Hi Christine this is on freebmd could be him (Fulham) cant tell without the cert though as this would list father Births Dec 1895 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jones Edward James Fulham 1a 177 Can you tell me a bit more about the explosion as my father in law works at Slade Green and There may be something about it at Dartford library,this is the next town to Crayford Deborah

Brenda

Brenda Report 12 Jul 2005 23:53

Hi Christine, I just googled 'Slade Green, Crayford 1924', couldn't open some of the hits but one entitled '1924' contains a picture and an article about the incident. Sorry, if you already seen this - I've got this habit of googling everything! Brenda

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 00:05

Hi Debbie Thanks for replying i thought that was him but wasted another £4-50 sending for certificate i am completely stuck and dont not know which way to go.The explosion i spoke about was in Filling factory at Slade Green they were emptying very lights and there was a big explosion it was on front page of the Mirror which i sent for but it does not say where he came from.The memorial is in Erith cemetry just as you go in,its driving me mad i know so much but again nothing.Keep thinking there must be something i am missing oh well back to 1901 again Thanks if you can think of anything else Regards Christine

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 00:08

Thanks Brenda Yes there is a big bit on it also my grandad being the only man i can read about him.Just wish i could get his certificate or learn more about him died a hero and none of us knew so sad. Regards Christine

Deborah

Deborah Report 13 Jul 2005 01:23

Hi Christine do you have his marriage cert? Does it list his fathers occupation? Deborah

Deborah

Deborah Report 13 Jul 2005 09:14

Hi Christine Is your Grandfather actually buried at Erith or where he was living? As gravestones usually have dates of birth on and this would narrow down the search. Found three Edward fathers and sons on 1901 decoder which groups the page ID together ,saved it to Excel but having trouble retrieving it,so will mess around with it today.2 came from the London area ,thats why I asked about fathers occupatoin as that may help narrow things down as well Deborah

Lynne

Lynne Report 13 Jul 2005 11:11

Christine Could this be him in 1901? Caroline Jones abt 1872 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England Wife Greenwich London Edward Jones abt 1872 Rotherhithe, London, England Head Greenwich London Edward Jones abt 1895 Deptford, London, England Son Greenwich London Lynne

Lynne

Lynne Report 13 Jul 2005 11:12

Or this one:- Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Alice Jones abt 1893 Hackney Daughter Hackney London Edward Jones abt 1870 Homerton Head Hackney London Edward Jones abt 1894 Hackney Son Hackney London Emily Jones abt 1898 Dalston Daughter Hackney London Florence Jones abt 1899 Hackney Daughter Hackney London Fredk Jones abt 1895 Hackney Son Hackney London Harry Jones abt 1897 Hackney Son Hackney London Mary A Jones abt 1875 Bethnal Green Wife Hackney London

Lynne

Lynne Report 13 Jul 2005 11:16

And another one:- Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island View Image Ada Jones abt 1876 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Wife Paddington London Bertram J Jones abt 1899 Chelsea, Middlesex, England Son Paddington London Edward C Jones abt 1896 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Son Paddington London Edward J Jones abt 1873 Paddington, Middlesex, England Head Paddington London Sherley A Jones abt 1900 Chelsea, Middlesex, England Son Paddington London

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 11:26

Hi Debra Sorry i only just got back on computer and seen your message yes i do have death and marriage certificate he married in 1917 his father is down as Edward Arthur Jones deceased a pattern designer.My grandad Edward James Jones is down as 23yrs.Gunner in the Royal Artillery also a pattern designer.A Lydia Drew is one of the witnesses maybe his sister? Just looked on my parents marriage certificate it states grandad was a linoleum maker ,not sure if the pattern designer comes from that .Hope you can understand as i do tend to waffle. Regards Christine

Chris67

Chris67 Report 13 Jul 2005 11:33

Hi christine Found part of the inquest report in the times, The Kent Factory Explosion Feb 21 1924 page 17 issue 43581 ,col b and it has him down as edward jones of forest hill he was the foreman at he works I can e mail you the details it gives conerning the accident ,its quite long

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 11:43

Hi Christine Yes that is the right explosion i will have a look at that although i bought the Mirror for that day as it was on front page.He did live at 52 Dalmain Road,Forest Hill S.E.23 and although was buried in Lewisham it was public grave so there is no stone to see for his true birth.In the Mirror i thought they made a mistake putting Dulwich thinking maybe i was wrong and he was born there. Regards Chrisitne

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 11:49

Thanks Lynne for your reply Think the only one it could be was where they lived in Greenwich although i think i discounted that before although can not remember why .Please could you tell me does it say what the father did for a living?? Regards Christine

Chris67

Chris67 Report 13 Jul 2005 13:34

Hi christine also found a birth Edward James Jones born 1895 december quarter Fulham Volume 1a Page 177

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 14:04

Thanks Christine Sent you e-mail will check on that Fulham birth again ,Do you have any idea how i can check my grandad out in Royal Field Artillery in about 1915/1917 i might find out more as he would have to put where he was born wouldn't he????? Regards Christine

Lynne

Lynne Report 13 Jul 2005 16:29

Hi Christine I've just checked and the father's occupation is General labourer. Hope that helps. Lynne

Christine

Christine Report 13 Jul 2005 18:46

A big thank you to all for replies i know i will find his family just need to keep double checking,especially the ones you put forward Regards Christine

Lynn

Lynn Report 30 Jun 2017 16:26

Did you solve this puzzle, I have a friend connected to this family. She would be 2nd cousin, once removed to Edward James Jones

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Jun 2017 16:57

Welcome to the boards, Lynn.

It's unlikely that Christine will be looking for replies here now, 12 years after her last post on this thread.

You can try to contact her via a private message - just click on her name at the top of one of her posts.
If she still uses the email address she registered with GR on joining, she'll be notified that there's a message from you.

No guarantees that she'll reply, unfortunately!