Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unusual middle names - laugh with me

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 28 May 2005 18:25

I thought it might be good to share some unusual names. I have just been transcibing for Free BMD and came across this one. Have you one to add? Sylvie Francis SNOWBALL Hales born Aylesbury 1876

moe

moe Report 28 May 2005 18:28

Sylvie, can't laugh too loud i know a family of snowballs (seriously) MOE!

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 28 May 2005 18:29

This is my favourite. Born 1897: Victoria Diamond Jubilee Jobling. To make matters worse, she married Albert Darling!

Rachel

Rachel Report 28 May 2005 19:19

Some of my lot have their mothers maiden name as a middle name so thet ended up as: Edward HUNTLEY King Edward TOURNAY King Edwin MARSHALL Tournay

Mandy

Mandy Report 28 May 2005 19:40

I saw one the other day where the childs first name was Julius and his middle name was Ceasar!!!!! I kid you not! LOL Can't remember his surname so it must have been 'normal'!

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 28 May 2005 20:04

there was a programme a few weeks ago and the Lady it was about had the middle name Moses I thought that very strange

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 28 May 2005 20:09

I suppose in 100 years time some future genealogist will find the birth of some poor child who has been named after a football team and wonder what on earth his parents were on!

Rachel

Rachel Report 28 May 2005 20:13

In 100yrs? I wonder that now Tina! We have a teenager in our family now who's first name is the same as her dad's favourate foottie team.

Dawnie

Dawnie Report 28 May 2005 20:17

I have an ancestor with a middle name as Napolean (Nap) for short, he named his son Napolean. Very sad, very harmless though!

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 May 2005 22:15

I remember reading in 1977 that a family whose name was Lee had called their daughter Juby.

Irene

Irene Report 29 May 2005 00:49

One of my rellie Jessie James Aust, they even put query Aust in the 1901 census. Irene

Lesley

Lesley Report 29 May 2005 02:55

dont know if you have hreard of it in england,but in australia about 10years ago there was a hairtransplant firm called ASHLEY and MARTIN,well when my son started pre school there were twin boys in his class,named ASHLEY and MARTIN ,poor kids they were to young to know but all the mums thought it was a horrible thing to do.

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 May 2005 05:15

Hi Everyone, I'm researching the Barrys. I still can't get my head around......Harry Barry! Also Minnie Myrtle May Victoria

Mandy

Mandy Report 29 May 2005 08:29

just thought of another. I once looked after someone called George George! He said his mother had no imagination, LOL

Sylvie

Sylvie Report 29 May 2005 08:33

Hi all I've just returned to see if anyone added anything and have realy enjoyed the responses. Started my day with a smile! I was in the local FHS record office recently and the man on the fiche reader next to me had just found an ancestor with the middle name of European. Keep adding! Sylvie

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 May 2005 08:38

Not many unusual middle names so far but plenty of christian names! One of my gggrandfather's sisters married Ringrose Schofield which I thought was a bit, errr......unique! And on my Stuart line in Essex, every generation has a son called Stonehouse or with Stonehouse as their middle name. I have yet to find out why and where it comes from (it doesn't appear to be anyone's maiden name so far!) Another ancestor called his daughter Anapira!

♫♪ Yvonne from Oz ♫♪

♫♪ Yvonne from Oz ♫♪ Report 29 May 2005 09:03

Just came across Major Bidwell married an ancestor and don't know if it was his real name or title! Anyone got a Minor or a Lieutenant?

Louise

Louise Report 29 May 2005 09:44

I found a William Tell Chandler on the 61 the other day....he'd been blind for 2 years......I had a vision of apples and arrows!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 May 2005 10:23

Not a name, but on an enumerators image in the 'Disability' column - against a 16 year old daughter I saw ' Procrastinator' !!!!

Helen Henderson

Helen Henderson Report 29 May 2005 10:40

My uncle revels in the name Douglas Peace Colette Owen! He was born in 1919 after his father had served in WW1. The peace bit I can understand but I still don't know where the Colette comes in. I did think it might be after the writer but I am not sure that Grandad was that well read! Even worse, his baptism entry in our local church look as if it reads Charlotte!