Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

F.W.M.S.C. Any Ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 26 May 2005 18:08

Would welcome any ideas. Have found a kind of badge thing belonging to my Grandad. It has his initials engraved on the front. On the back it says F.W.M.S.C. Junior(?) Football 1907-8 South Div My Grandad was born and bred in Lambeth/New Cross area. Am guessing that maybe the initials W.M.S.C. could be Working Mens Social Club. A google for F.W.M.S.C. only comes up with an 'ongoing' american footie team! Am not too sure about the word junior, in 1907-8 my Grandad was 18. Any ideas would sooth my sore head! Many thanks!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 May 2005 22:22

Not sure about the initials, but in 1907 I suppose you were still considered 'junior' at age 18. (Had to be 21 in those days to be a grown up, even though you went out to work at about 12). Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 May 2005 22:29

Maybe the junior bit referred to the league the football team was in, as opposed to the age of the players. nell

Linda

Linda Report 27 May 2005 09:07

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated! Feeling more refreshed today so more searching and no dinner again! Cheers!

Jane

Jane Report 27 May 2005 10:51

Linda, What did he eventually 'do' for a living? I've googled around a bit and found 'Medical School' which could be part of the acronym. It may be obvious but I would guess the 'S' did stand for 'School' anyway. The 'C' could stand for 'Cup'. Do tell us what you found whilst missing supper last night!? Regs Jane

Linda

Linda Report 27 May 2005 11:22

Jane: Found a lot of interesting stuff on the history of football etc but nothing which related to my 'badge' unfortunately!! Edward eventually ended up as a Cablehand. Hadn't thought of School for the S so now you have given me more stuff to research! I ended up with my 'old faithful' jacket potatoe whilst at the pc!!! Thanks for googling for me! Cheers Linda

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 27 May 2005 11:31

Local league football would have been reported weekly in the local paper

Ann

Ann Report 27 May 2005 12:18

FIA's World Motor Sport Council (WMSC).......but dnt suppose they would have anything to do with football!!, unless they sponsered a schools league or something like that

Jane

Jane Report 27 May 2005 12:35

Linda, Another thought .... 'F.... W.... Methodist Schools Cup' - I think it has to be a national organisation because of the 'Southern Division' statement on the back of the pic. Was / is the family Methodist? At 18, he should have been working in those days - they left school at 14 I believe. Think you'll be having a lot of jacket spuds in the near future.... Jx PS: Like Lyla's suggestion ... it sounds sensible ... but like you, would love more evidence to support whatever we think!

Linda

Linda Report 27 May 2005 13:42

Wow so many ideas!! Have checked the USA idea, fulham wanderers and the methodist but no luck yet. Thanks everyone for getting your thinking caps on! You are right about the jacket spuds me fears!!! Cheers!

christobelwj

christobelwj Report 10 Nov 2018 21:27

Hi Linda, you're on the right lines with Working Men's Social Club, and I would guess that the F was for Federation. I have 2 silver hallmarked medals with raised parts in what I assume to be gold (untarnished). They belonged to my grandad who grew up in Lambeth. They are quite different designs to each other, and engraved on the reverse:
FWMSC, 1 mile cycle, 1st, M.Warren, Alford House , 1906
FWMSC, 3 mile race, 1st, M.Warren, Alford House, 1906
He would've been 23 or 24 by then.
Alford House was founded in 1884 to promote the 'wellbeing, training and recreation of the young people of Lambeth'. It was for young men of 15-20 but there was also a much larger men's club.
2 good weblinks:
https://alfordhouse.org.uk/about-us/history/
https://belowtheriver.co.uk/2014/01/02/wednesday-picture-alford-house/
I do hope you get to read this! Regards

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2018 11:13

Welcome to the boards, chrisobel.

Try contacting Linda by clicking on her name - if she still uses the same linked email address, and can access it, she'll be notified that you've sent her a message.

Her profile has zero posts against her name, but she hasn't completely deleted her account. Lets hope you are successful.