Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEW BRICKWALL THREAD FOR 'Hard to find rellies'

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 15 May 2005 13:56

sTARTING A NEW THREAD FOR ABOVE: MINES IS : BIRTH OF MARY RATTRAY ABOUT 1840-1843 IN ?FORFAR SCOTLAND TO ROBERT AND ISABEL. WAS MARRIED TO JAMES THOM AND HAD 2 CHILDREN TO HIM -ISABEL AND DAVID. ALSO HAD TWINS -WILLIAM AND JAMES AND DAUGHTER TO OTHER PARTNERS. Rosalyn

Annie in

Annie in Report 15 May 2005 14:09

Gosh, where shall I start? lol Missing from 1861 and 1871, Edward Whiley born 1841 in Aylsham, Norfolk. Son, also Edward, born 1869 in Chichester, Sussex. I have Edward in Aylsham on the 41 and 51, in Lakenham, Norfolk on the 81 and Ealing, Middlesex on the 1891. He died prior to the 1901. Missing from 1891 and 1901, Susan Morgan, born 1843 in Ireland. Should be in the Liverpool area. She is a widow and probably working for a family as a Nanny. Missing from the 1901 census, James Tafe born 1855 in France, also son, James born 1884 in Liverpool [west derby/Bootle area] Two other sons: David and Thomas born circa 1887 and 1889, respectively. Also 3 step children of James': Peter, Hugh and Mary Hanlon all born in Liverpool. [In 1877, 1880 and 1882] Should still be in the Liverpool area. If anyone finds them I shall probably be so overcome I shall swoon!

Ellen

Ellen Report 15 May 2005 14:19

Rosalyn Forgive me if you already have this but here are Mary parents on the 1881, with her illegitimate daughter Mary Pea(r)son, plus what must be her brother & sister Ann & David, both born to Robert Rattray & Isabel Millar: Dwelling: Dunnichen Census Place: Dunnichen, Forfar, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203491 GRO Ref Volume 283 EnumDist 3 Page 3 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Robert RATTRAY M 68 M Arbirlot, Forfar, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Farm Servant Isabella RATTRAY M 68 F Forfar, Forfar, Scotland Rel: Wife Occ: Farm Servant Wife Wm. HOGG 15 M Forfar, Forfar, Scotland Rel: Grand Child Occ: Farm Servant Jas. HOGG 15 M Forfar, Forfar, Scotland Rel: Grand Child Occ: Out worker Mary PEASON 9 F Dunnichen, Forfar, Scotland Rel: Grand Child Occ: Scholar International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 2 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. ANN RATTRAY - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Christening: 21 APR 1839 Tannadice, Angus, Scotland 2. DAVID MILLER RATTRAY - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 05 APR 1856 Forfar, Angus, Scotland The child Mary Pea(r)son living with Robert & Isobel is the illegitimate daughter of Mary Rattray and John Pearson, Ploughman, b. 15th July 1871 in the village of Dunnichen. Birth cert signed by both Mary and John, who lived at Balmashannor. I have the image saved if you'd like me to e mail it. No sign of Mary's (Rattray) birth yet though. Regards Ellen.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 15 May 2005 14:59

Been Looking for a William Pool-e now for three years I think he was born 1846-1847 in Haverhill Suffolk fathers name George mother ?? married in 1871 to Emma Ransom in Haverhill have him on the 1881 census then living in Edmonton Middlesex but would love to find him on a previous census' Margaret

Small but Perfectly Formed Wendy

Small but Perfectly Formed Wendy Report 15 May 2005 15:08

Here goes, Trying to find Marraige of these-: John Colley born Huntingdonshire c1834 Sarah(maiden name not known) believed born in Market Weighton c1836, may have married in Huntingdonshire or Yorkshire!! Would like to know the maiden name of Sarah, as i live a mile and a half from Market Weighton. Thanks. Wendy.

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 May 2005 15:11

18 months of searching has left me none the wiser,PLEASE can anyone help????.JAMES HARDING born c 1864 place unknown (father: James (George) Harding,mother:Frances ?) all other details unknown,with a sister Ann,all details unknown.Married Bridget Teresa Kelly nee Jackson born c 1865( Ireland) in W.Derby 1897.Had James Harding in 1899 Edmonton,Middlesex .In 1901 James the baby is with his Aunt and Uncle (maternal Aunt) in W.Derby no sign of James or Bridget at all on any census they also had a baby John who died in infancy.Bridget died in 1918,can't find James' death although apparently he died shortly after...James is of a Catholic family and on his marriage cert in 1897 he is a mariner but in 1899 on his sons birth cert(my Grandfather) he is a butler.......I think they were zapped by Aliens what do you think???, Told you it was a massive brickwall, Desperate, Elaine

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 15 May 2005 15:17

Roll your sleeves up, ladies and gentlemen, because I have a missing Jones family. Alice born 1858 in Aston/Birmingham. She married in 1877 stating her father John was a deceased steel toymaker. A witness was Ann Jones. I have Alice and her husband from 1881 onwards; her age is consistant. There are surprisingly few Alice Jonses in 1871 and 1861; about eleven. Unfortunately I can't see one with a father called John who's a steel toymaker or one with either no father or a stepfather. One posibility was a family headed by a mother named Martha, but on 1851 her husband was William. She's there, I know she is, but I just can't see the wood for the trees!

Smiley

Smiley Report 15 May 2005 15:36

I shall be having a look for your missing folks ladies, so here is my one bug-bear.. LAURA ANNIE BESSANT Born: 20/02/1891 Portsea Island, Portsmouth I have her in 1891 aged 2months with mother Esther & sister Alice in Portsmouth. Esther died 1898, 1901 Alice is with her paternal aunt Sarah in Kent. Father William Bessant is a lodger in Kent. But No LAURA! I have checked 1837 1891 - 1920 no death ( or marriage) all grandparents are dead by 1901. It would be lovely to find her, I have a birth cert but nothing else Sam

Hilary

Hilary Report 15 May 2005 20:04

Hi everyone, like the rest of you, where do I go. Looking for Mary Ann Thurrell, all I know is she married in Sept 1851 to David Baird in Islington. She had her son in 1853 and died in 1855. Fathers name on marriage certificate is Joseph Thurrell. She must be on 1851CENSUS SOMEWHERE but WHERE. Hope somebody else can find her because I can't. A real brick wall for about 2 yrs. Many thanks Hilary.

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 15 May 2005 20:58

Hi all, Will try and look for some of the above for you because I love a challenge! Here's my MASSIVE brick wall. Looking for THOMAS GEORGE DEARSON in the 1861 census. He should be around 5 years old. According to 1881/91/1901 census, he was born 1856ish in Stratford/Plaistow, Essex area. Think I have him in 1871 census(age is slightly out) He married in 1879, and he gave his fathers name as ALBERT GEORGE DEARSON. Again I can find no trace of him either (in any census) Been searching for at least 4 years for them, with no luck YET. Any help would be great. best wishes Jackie x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 May 2005 21:05

Looking for JAMES HOLDEN. I have him from 1861, with his second wife (Ellen/or Grimshaw) and three sons,Joseph, James and William, the oldest son JOSEPH is the son of James and his first wife.From 1859 to his death in 1898 he lives consistently in Manchester. I cannot find A baptism for James, born c 1825 in either Wheelton or Chorley. A baptism or birth registration for Joseph, born c 1855 in Manchester. A first marriage for James and UNKNOWN. James was reputedly (info from 2nd marriage cert) the son of James Holden, a Brewer. James himself(1825) describes himself variously as: Ag lab, Engine Driver, Shopkeeper and Engineer! Not expecting much out of this...lol Marjorie

JackieInCardiff

JackieInCardiff Report 15 May 2005 21:11

Annie Could this be your Edward Whiley in 1861 Edward Wiley 1842 Hindolveston, Norfolk, England Son Hindolveston Norfolk James Wiley 1860 Hindolveston, Norfolk, England Grandson Hindolveston Norfolk John Wiley 1798 Fakenham, Norfolk, England Head Hindolveston Norfolk Susan Wiley 1838 Hindolveston, Norfolk, England Daughter Hindolveston Norfolk Source information: RG9/1204 Registration district: Aylsham Sub-registration district: Eynsford ED, institution, or vessel: 2 Folio: 39 Page: 26 Household schedule number: 82 GSU Number: 542774

Sheila

Sheila Report 15 May 2005 21:18

I have been trying to find an ARTHUR MANNING supposedly born in Norwich around 1875, I have him on the 1901 census where he his married to an AGNES, he has two children 1 called AGNES and 1 called ARTHUR. He is living in Norfolk at this time. I have a copy of his marriage certificate from 1897 which states his fathers name as being HENRY MANNING, I can find no trace of an Arthur or Henry in Norwich on either the 1891 or 1881 census. Arthur died in 1940 and was living in Stowmarket, Suffolk at that time. He also had five other children, ELVINA, FREDERICK and EDITH I haven't as yet found the names of the other two children these were all born after 1901 so do not appear on the census. He also had a second wife called EDITH Who he married in 1906

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 15 May 2005 22:21

Tip for census look ups, Look on the next page,i did by mistake and found two more brothers i never knew about, The family were at the bottom of the page and had been continued on the next one without reference, So now if the entry is top or bottom i always check other pages you never know what you may find.

moe

moe Report 15 May 2005 22:42

ANNIE are these yours/ PATRICK38 MARY 37 peter 14 SUSAN 12 THOMAS 9 john 7 MARY 5 hugh 2 TOXTETH PARK 1891 NAMES INDEX YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT THESE NUMBERS UP TO SEE WHERE THEY LIVE PIECE 2931 FOLIO 95b moe! PS these are all HANLONS

Elaine

Elaine Report 15 May 2005 23:05

Well heres mine - 1891 Annie Sly age 7 + Edward Sly aged 13 living Warminster Wilts(born Warminster Wilts)with father Thomas 32 mother Annie 36 + 4 more siblings.mother dies 1898 and family split up. 1901 Thomas living Warminster Wilts with son George. All others accounted for except Annie now 17 + Edward now 23.Know they survived because Annies daughter in Australia told me so!! Allegedly went into orphanage in Gloucester. Annie married E. Beard in Barton Regis Gloucs in 1903. Can anyone find them in 1901??

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 May 2005 17:19

Jackie in Cardiff: Thank you so much for taking the time to look for my naughty ancestors, unfortunatly he isn't the right one as his Father was George. [I have George in 1861 already] I found the same Edward on 1871 and thought I had him, especially as he'd a son the right age also called Edward. Thanks for trying

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 May 2005 17:22

Moe: Sorry, I should have made it clearer on my original post that they are only missing in 1901. I have them in 1861, 71, 81 and 91. Thank you for taking the time to try

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 16 May 2005 17:34

This is my hard to find relation and it looks as if he sailed away, never to return!! Benjamin Robinson married Sarah Furness 27th January 1806 in St.Thomas Church Portsmouth. She was a local girl and he was a seaman from HMS Le Tonnant. I have their children. Three were born in Gosport and three were born in Portsmouth. I can't find anymore on him, so that's as far back as I can get with the Robinsons.

Michele

Michele Report 16 May 2005 17:57

I am desperate to find the marriage of William Newland Ansell to Elizabeth in approx 1812 probably in Petersfield Hampshire. I have had no luck and have asked on GR before with no luck but just in case anyone is feeling clever!! Would be great to get this one. Many thanks Michele