Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BORED! - 1901/1891/1881/1871 census+ BDM lookups o

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:02

BORED! - 1901/1891/1881/1871 census+ BDM lookups offered. please supply all info you have,Requests on thread only please

David

David Report 31 Mar 2005 15:05

Hi jess . I've put this m on Donnaa's thread and also Rambo's. No replies yet. Also put a posting on your adoption thread Lookup wanted please PLESTED FAMILY Information Known Henry PLESTED married Elizabeth Plunkett Marylebone Sept ¼ 1845 reference 1 253 Children Jun 1847 Plested Emma Marylebone 1 172 Jun 1851 Henry Alfred Marylebone 1 181 Jun1854 Martha Marylebone 1c 463 At some time Henry Alfred moved to Norwich and married Elizabeth Louisa Grimes, (father: Henry Grimes.) 25 December 1874 at St mary's Baptist Chapel Norwich.. Witnesses Emma Plested, Henry Grimes. Henry Alfred and Elizabeth had two sons.Henry Edwin Dec ¼ 1875 4b 117 and Alfred Sher(r)ingham March 9 1878 (2 Rs on bc 1R elsewhwre). Alfred Sheringham was born in Bull Close Road, Norwich Henry Alfred died shortly after the birth of the second son Sep ¼ 1878 ref 4b 71 in the 1881 census, both boys were boarders with different ladies in Bull Close, Norwich. Elizabeth their mother was at Tilehouse St Nursing Inst Hitchin, Hertford, England Emma was a servant.at 89 St Marys Road, Manningham, York, England Martha was a servant at Main Road Hinxton, Cambridge, Emma and Martha later moved to Australia. Martha becoming a Baptist missionary in India for 38 years. Elizabeth, widow of Henry Alfred later married Ernest Palmer in Croydon. They had a son Charles. It is possible that Charles moved to Canada after WW1 (But not sure, someone did and we have eliminated most others) 1891 census..ERNEST PALMER 23 born S Norwood occ (?)ELIZABETH L PALMER 40 Norwich,CHARLES PALMER 6 mnths S.Norwood.HENRY E PLESTED 15 Norwich.step son,ALFRED S PLESTED 13 Norwich step son,.. 1901 Census has Henry E and Alfred at 93 Tabard St with the Wife of Henry and his inlaws, Webers. In 1901 I believe that Elizabeth, Ernestand Charles were in Aldershot. (Could someone look this up please?) Further information requird: Apart from Henry Alfred, did more of the family move to Norwich? Do they appear on any earlier census returns? A death in Mar ¼ 1862 show as PLESTED Elizabeth Norwich 4b 86 I this the widow of Henry. Does she appear in the 1861 census? Basically I'm looking for Norwich connections, and if Charles Palmer went to Canada. Alfred Sheringham died in WW1. CWG only has him as A PLESTED Kind regards David

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:12

Blimey David!! Too much info all at once, one request at a time please! happy to look for you but.... jess with regard to the other thread(which tends to be used as a chat forum for adoptees) adoption didn't happen in a formal way until 1927 when it became a court process, up till then you could give your kids to whoever you wanted

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:19

david, from 1901 working back thru census the rtruns for PLESTED resident NORWICH are thus 1881 Alfred Plested abt 1878 Norwich, Norfolk, England Boarder Norwich St Paul Henry Plested abt 1876 Norwich, Norfolk, England Boarder Norwich St Paul 1891 Palmer, Charles 6/12 Showood, Surrey Son Croydon Surrey Palmer, Elizabeth L 40 Norwich, Norfolk Wife Croydon Surrey Palmer, Ernest 23 Smorwood, Surrey Head Croydon Surrey Plaisted, Alfred S 13 Norwich, Norfolk Stepson Croydon Surrey Plaisted, Henry E 15 Norwich, Norfolk Stepson Croydon Surrey

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:29

Jen, any older siblings names otherwise it's a bit of a lottery (there are 4 x head by the name of white in the village in 1901) jess

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 15:33

Added By Gloria Greenwood on 31/03/2005 15:10:48 | Update Message | Delete Message Hi Jess, went trolling off onto another site to keep myself from doing housework. Found a rellie of my husbands who has always drawn a blank. She was his grandmother and quite a colourful lady!!! She was called Mary Hannah Allen and married Travis Greenwood 1908 september quarter Oldham gt Manchester Lancashire. She had 3 children we presume by him as it says so on one of the death certificates, and had another (at least) by my husbands Grandfather Samuel Needham. Samuel Needham was born 1888 died 1957. Of him we know nothing other than that we believe he was born in Oldham. Any chance of finding any more about either of them. We don't think she ever married Samuel Needham and their son (my husbands dad) had Greenwood as a surname, so I would think she never divorced Travis. This sounds a bit muddled but hope you can help. Gloria

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 15:35

Just impressed myself and transferred the message. Gloria

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:38

Gloria. with criteria samuel needham/Oldham born/1888+/- the result is; Bertha Needham 9 Oldham, Lancashire, England Daughter Oldham Lancashire Edwin Needham 56 Stockport, Cheshire, England Uncle Oldham Lancashire Jane Needham 2 months Oldham, Lancashire, England Daughter Oldham Lancashire Katherine Needham 41 Stockport, Cheshire, England Wife Oldham Lancashire Lily Needham 5 Oldham, Lancashire, England Daughter Oldham Lancashire Mary Needham 1 Oldham, Lancashire, England Daughter Oldham Lancashire Samuel Needham 44 Stockport, Cheshire, England Head Oldham Lancashire Samuel Needham 12 Oldham, Lancashire, England Son Oldham Lancashire Sarah A Needham 14 Oldham, Lancashire, England Daughter Oldham Lancashire William Needham 10 Oldham, Lancashire, England Son Oldham Lancashire Source information: RG13/3805 folio 33 page 57 Registration district: Oldham Sub-registration district: Oldham Below Town ED, institution, or vessel: 7 There are 100's of Mary Allens in 1901 in Lancs - need to find out a bit more - how old was she /anything! travis's family (the only Travis Greenwood i could see anyway, and in about the right place Elizabeth Greenwood 50 Rochdale, Lancashire, England Head Royton Lancashire James Greenwood 51 Ovenden, Yorkshire, England Husband Royton Lancashire Martha Greenwood 8 Royton, Lancashire, England Daughter Royton Lancashire Travis Greenwood 11 Crompton, Lancashire, England Son Royton Lancashire Elizabeth Hammond 17 Pontefract, Yorkshire, England Daughter Royton Lancashire William Hammond 21 Barnsley, Yorkshire, England Son Royton Lancashire Source information: RG13/3828 folio 82 page 18 Registration district: Oldham Sub-registration district: Royton ED, institution, or vessel: 11 jess

Jack

Jack Report 31 Mar 2005 15:45

I was told yesterday that one of my relatives (Annie Bird b1876 in Darlington) married James Hewson in July, 1901. When I've looked on the Tees Valley Indexes site, it gives the name as Heuchan (Middlesbrough registration district). Can you check if there is a Heuchan family shown in that area in the 1901 census, please? James would presumably be living at home and in his early 20s. Also, is Annie Bird shown in Darlington in 1901? (She was a domestic servant in the 1891 census, so might still have been prior to her marriage). I haven't found any Heuchan children after the marriage either. Thanks again! Jack

Marie

Marie Report 31 Mar 2005 15:48

Hi Jess, I will try and make some sense of this if I can. Could you look for a Caroline Longhurst b: 1869 Shoreditch, London. She appears on 1881 aged 12 with Mum and Dad but not on 1891. I have found a possible marriage for her 1894 to a William Edwards and a possible daughter living with g.parents in 1901, but where was she. Hope thats not too confusing. Many thanks Marie

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 15:50

Jack, Heuchan doesn't show at all. there are Hewsons in middlesborough but no James Annie bird not in Darlington either! Where was Annie born -from census sighting in 1891? (well, we know where they are not!)

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Mar 2005 15:55

Wow, that was fast. All we know is that her full name at the time of marriage was Mary Hannah Allen and as for her age we can only presume she was around the same age as Travis which would be 11 then. They were married in Oldham and I can only presume she was born there. We are seeing a wife of one of her sons by Travis this weekend but I don't think she knows any more. Many thanks Gloria

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 16:03

marie ;is this her: Kermesley, Louis Wm 35 Preston, Lancashire Head Hackney St John London Kermesley, Louisa 30 Stoke Newington, Middlesex Wife Hackney St John London Kermesley, Louisa Catherine 3 Stoke Newington, Middlesex Daughter Hackney St John London Longhurst, Caroline 22 Dalston, Middlesex Servant Hackney St John London Source information: RG12/184 folio 100 page 59 Registration district: Hackney Sub registration district: West Hackney ED, institution, or vessel: 3

Marie

Marie Report 31 Mar 2005 16:09

Thanks Jess, Yes I think it must be her. Can you see her on 1901 as Caroline Edwards and hubby William. Thanks again Marie

Marie

Marie Report 31 Mar 2005 16:12

I can't find any of this group in 1881. In 1891 only the children Frederick and Catherine who are living in Greenwich. In the 1901, Frederick and catherine are back living with their parents and those are the only ones I have. Can you find any of them in the 1881 or 1891 - the children were all born in the Lewisham, deptford, Greenwich area CHAPMAN, William Henry-226 (M), interior decorator Birth 9 Jan 1831 in Lewisham, Kent, England Census 1841 in Lewisham, Kent, England (age 10) Census 1851 in Lewisham, Kent, England (age 20) Census 1861 in Lewisham, Kent, England (age 30) Living at Carpenters Arms, Lewisham, painter Census 1871 in Greenwich, Kent, England (age 40) employing 5 men, Greenwich Census 1901 in Lewisham, Kent, England (age 70) retired builder Spouse Susan Elizabeth WAKELING-868 Marriage 31 Oct 1851 in St. Pauls, Deptford, London, England (age 20) Child Frank CHAPMAN-872 (-) Child Emma CHAPMAN-1391 (1853-) Child CATHERINE CHAPMAN-869 (1856-) dressmaker Child SARAH F CHAPMAN-1783 (1857-) Child WILLIAM C CHAPMAN-1784 (1860-) Child MARYANN CHAPMAN-1803 (1862-) Child EDWIN GEORGE CHAPMAN-1786 (1865-) Child FREDERICK J CHAPMAN-1787 (1867-) Child HENRY J CHAPMAN-1804 (1869-)

The Bag

The Bag Report 31 Mar 2005 16:29

marie - the children s years of birth would be useful (what are the numbers following their names?)

chezzy

chezzy Report 31 Mar 2005 16:36

Hi Jess,thankyou for the kind offer!! ive just put a thread up but so far no replies so please could you try 1891 for William King b.1881c so should be around 10 with a dad named william who's possibly a quarryman and in the lancs area?? been troubled by this all day so would appreciate any help dear...thankyou kindly,cherie.xx

Marie

Marie Report 31 Mar 2005 16:41

Hi Jess, Sorry.My 1901 census has Longhurst George 61 Head Longhurst Caroline 59 Wife Longhurst Edith 18 Daughter Edwards Julia M 6 G.daughter 37 Annis Rd London This is Carolines mum and dad. As I said I think she married a William Edwards, But where were they in 1901 for their daughter to be living with granny. Thanks for your efforts Marie

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 31 Mar 2005 16:54

Hi Jess. Hope you had a good Easter. Can you look for any info on Hannah Hibberd who married Charles Carraway 21st Aug 1847 in Urchfont Wilts. She was christened 27th May 1822 in Urchfont and I have no idea where he came from. Also I have Elizabeth Hibberd christened 11th April 1819 in Urchfont and she married Thomas Henty from Portsmouth. I have her as a widow on the 1881, living in Lancashire and can find two children John Henty born 1853 in Wales and Susan born 1860 in Lance. Would you check the earlier census to see if there are any other children and where the family were living. Thanks. Jan

Amy

Amy Report 31 Mar 2005 17:30

Hi Jess can you do a look up for me on the 1871 census please. Im trying to find Harriet Mynott and her parents. She was born in 1861c so i think she would have been about 10. I also know that she was born in Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire but i cant find them. Thank you. Amy