Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MacFamilyTree confusion

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SimonOlley

SimonOlley Report 8 Mar 2005 19:59

I've been trying to build my tree on this mac compatable software which comes with precious few instructions and rather condescending replies when emailed. My main problem is that although I think I'm entering every person once, I often get a dialogue box telling me that the person I have selected is in more than one family tree! I also find that when I go to view the tree, it often indicates that people have no children when I know they have and have 'dragged and dropped' them onto their parents filecard. Is there anyone using this infuriating piece of software who can tell me how it works so I can stop banging my head against the kitchen wall and cursing the patronising arrogant manufacturers who think their minimal notes are sufficient for someone like myself who actually considers I'm not as stupid as Stefan Sicurella thinks I am. Aaaaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!!! I must breathe slowly and stem my bleeding forehead. I'm normally so calm. Simon

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 8 Mar 2005 23:27

I have this software but haven't experienced the problems you described - possibly because I've been getting into it slowly. I put in the bulk by downloading my GR info as GedCom and then uploaded it into MacFamilyTree. I've tweaked it a bit now and then, but nothing drastic. I must admit I hadn't tried drag & drop in the way you describe: I'm not quite sure how it would work? The time I had a problem, I emailed them and got a reply back to say it was a known bug which they were dealing with. It got sorted at the next upgrade. Are you sure that the communication problem isn't just a straight language barrier? I gather they're German, so their first language won't be English. That means that some subtleties may escape them. Christine

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 8 Mar 2005 23:46

Simon, I agree with everything you have said, right down to the patronising emails!!!! I have the same problems and have not found a way round it. MacFamilyTree also does not show multiple marriages on the genogram which is extremely infuriating as I have been married twice!!!! There is an update which I believe has only been put online today so I will be giving that a go!!!! I have found another piece of software for the Mac which I have been trying and to be honest it is brilliant, I think I may be ditching MacFamily tree in favour of this (though I am annoyed at paying for rubbish software!!!!) This software is called Heredis - download a trial version from here http://www.myheredis.com/ Give it a go - its great.