Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PUB CONNECTION IN THE FAMILY ?? - List your Pub he

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 2 Mar 2005 11:04

Just been reading another thread which gave me the idea for this new thread. Many of us have a Pub connection - why not list them here and see if we connect? See below for mine. Dea.

Dea

Dea Report 2 Mar 2005 11:06

My Pubs are: STAR INN, Liverpool Rd., Patricroft, Barton-u-Irwell, ECCLES, Lancs (1871 + 1881) CUMBERLAND ARMS, 5, Middlewich Street, Monks Coppenhall, CREWE, Cheshire (1901) (On Census it is just referred to as 'Public House' Cumb. Coland Aq. - whatever that means ?) Regards, Dea.

Julie

Julie Report 2 Mar 2005 11:14

1881 - BROWN COW, 179a Gt Howard ST, Liverpool 1891 - ROSCOE ARMS 85 Renshaw ST, Liverpool 1901 - Would love to know the name if anyone can help. 24 Kirby St, Everton, Liverpool. Publican: Joseph Beaumont I also have have several books on pubs in Liverpool if anyone would like me to look up anything. Contact me direct. Pub on every corner - Vol 3 north liverpool Vol 1 liverpool city centre Vol 2 South liverpool Vol 4 Scotland rd,everton, and anfield Liverpool it all came tumbling down Julie

Diane

Diane Report 2 Mar 2005 11:16

My Great Uncle and his family had a pub for many years. ' THE ANGLE' It was in Market Street Cambridge. The family's name was Moden. Diane. x

Dawn

Dawn Report 2 Mar 2005 11:22

Here is my list: 'The Freemasons & Railway Tavern' Ladywell, Lewisham 'The Pontefract Castle' Wigmore Street, Marylebone 'The Lugard Tavern', Peckham 'The London Assurance Tavern', EC1 'The Duke' Deptford, Greenwich There are more, but I'll have to look them up!!! Dawn...

connieonnie

connieonnie Report 2 Mar 2005 11:31

My GG Grandfather ran the Royal Oak Inn , High Street , Radnorshire in 1871 . By 1881 he ran the Red Lion Inn also on High Street . His name was John Worthing and he was married to Jane.

Heather

Heather Report 2 Mar 2005 11:33

Julie, that made me larf. Ive been to the Tydd Gote Inn - even in the 70's it was still basically a house with a board across the room over which they served drinks!

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 2 Mar 2005 11:39

Mine is THE NEW SHIP INN, The Shore, Leith 1891 (still there) Inn Keeper.... Edward Nicholson He died of cirrhosis of the liver, so I think he probably drank more than he sold! LOL Christine

Angela

Angela Report 2 Mar 2005 11:56

THE TALBOT INN, ALTON, STAFFORDSHIRE in the 1860's

quite contrary mary

quite contrary mary Report 2 Mar 2005 12:01

The Radnor Inn, Folkestone. At the time - mid 1800s - it was a very rough pub/hotel right near the harbour and had a fearsome reputation. One night the constabulary went in to make an arrest but were thrown out and a huge fight ensued. My ancestor landlord (Charles HILL) had the distinction of having the Riot Act read outside the pub! One of the upstairs rooms had wooden posts throughout the room with hooks in. The seamen used to hook their belts over the hooks and sleep, leaning against the posts. Hence the term 'public leaning post'. There's a local shop which still has them intact, but they didn't know what they were used for! Regards Mary

Slinky

Slinky Report 2 Mar 2005 12:04

Queen Inn and Queens Head, Ormskirk during late 1800's to early 1900's by the Walmsley family. Anne.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Mar 2005 12:08

Here's mine then! The Grapes Inn, Filey 187?-1881 The Cross Keys, Nafferton 1881-1894 The Kings Head, Nafferton 1894-1911 approx Jeanette x

Susan

Susan Report 2 Mar 2005 12:09

My Gt Gt Grandparents ran a pub ( how do I find the name?) in Crown Lane, well it say Beer Hosusekeeper in 1881-1901 in Manchester. My Aunt and Uncle ran The Bunch Of Grapes for many many years in Carmarthen, then The Ex Serviceman Club also in Carmarthen Susan

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Mar 2005 12:16

THE BLACK LION INN. DEW STREET. HAVERFORDWEST. SWAN INN, WISBEACH. CAMBS. THE JOLLY FARMERS, HORNE, SURREY.

George

George Report 2 Mar 2005 13:40

Waste Dealers Arms, addy - Bottom oth Town, Oldham, ancestor was married to its publican Edmund Raynor in 1890s.

Jan.jan

Jan.jan Report 2 Mar 2005 14:12

My ancestors Ann and Joel Hibberd ran the Bridge Inn West Lavington Wiltshire in the mid 1800'2. I also have an Alice and George Hawkins who ran the White Horse Shades Hotel in Reigate in 1901.

David

David Report 2 Mar 2005 14:14

My pubs are: 1871 Queens Head, Low Hesket, Joseph Dawson 1891 Railway Tavern, Barnes, John Lawn 1901 Half Moon Inn, Reeth, Mary Close

Sue

Sue Report 2 Mar 2005 14:46

My ancestors ran The Volunteer, Blackheath, Surrey, now known as The Villagers. Sue

Netty

Netty Report 2 Mar 2005 14:51

MY PUB IS BACK 1880.........1915 DOG MAYGOG DEANSGATE, MANCHESTER THANKS JANETTE

Fern

Fern Report 2 Mar 2005 15:14

Mine is something Arms in Luckett, Stoke Climsland, Cornwall. John Tucker 1891. I couldn't quite make the first name of the pub out on the census. Fern.