Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any suggestions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 7 Feb 2005 23:54

My g.grandfather was born around 1885 (in whitburn scotland) according to the census in 1901. He got married in 1908. Have the cert for that. He had a brother and a sister have both certs for them. Can't find his birth, death or any of the family on the 1891 his siblings were born in Armadale West Lothian. His brother was born in 1876 and his sister in 1871. Any suggestions..... Thanks Mhairi

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 00:32

My Great grandfather was William Fowler Owens br c1885. Whitburn, His wife Elizabeth McDougal (got their marriage cert). Father Thomas Owens born c.1856 Lanark Mother Christina Fowler born c.1845 Lanark

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 00:35

Mary Owens born 1871 Armadale (sister) Thomas Owens born 1877 Armadale (brother) Dates for mother and father taken from census.

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 00:38

Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks Mhairi.

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 01:19

Thanks Georgina.. You should see the lump on my head with banging it against this brick wall.... Never mind will give it a nudge tomorrow see if someone holds the key to my secrets. lol Thanks again Mhairi.

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 11:11

Any suggestions from the early shift....Mhairi...

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Feb 2005 11:35

Mhairi Where are they living in the 1901 census.

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 11:50

No sorry i'm getting my self confused. The only census I can find them on is the 1891 census and they were staying at Coppers in Armadale.... No sight of them before or after... Can't find them on the 1901 census but he was staying in Whitburn in 1908 when he was married to Elizabeth McDougal. I can find her family on the 1901... Thanks Mhairi

Shona

Shona Report 8 Feb 2005 11:57

Hi Mhairi, I found a Jane Owens born in Falkirk 5/3/1872 to Thomas Owens and Christina Fuller. Thomas may have been born a bit earlier that 1856, since Mary was born in 1870. regards Shona

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 12:03

Thanks on the 1891 census entry it looks like Thomas age as 36 and his wife christina's as 45 it's hard to tell.... On the 1891 census she is down as Christina Fowler not as Owens which suggest to me that they were either not married. or she was just using her maiden name on census night on her sons birth cert her name is owens nee fowler... very confusing

Shona

Shona Report 8 Feb 2005 12:47

Hi Mhairi, The only william Owens showing up on Scotland's people that I can find was born in Alva in 1882. Regards Shona

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 12:51

Unfortunatly I think I need to remortage my house with the amount of searches on scotlands people...... Thanks for looking a fresh pair of eyes sometimes does the trick..... I'm off to Edinburgh on Monday so hopefully I can find something out there...... My Granny is 90 in March and we are trying to get a good bit of tree done so we can have it displayed..... But this line and one other have come to a halt, its driving me mad..... Dont know any weir's from lanark do you ? lol....... Thanks again Mhairi

Shona

Shona Report 8 Feb 2005 12:58

I know the feeling. Have you had no luck with the 1881 census for thomas and christina fowler? Regards shona

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 13:06

The first hint of them is Mary and Thomas's birth certs in Armadale.... Then census 1891 in Armadale Then William's wedding in Whitburn in 1908.... His sister I found on the 1901 census but she was unmarried with partner and 3 children.... I think they might hav had another sister catherine as both Mary and Catherine had a child which they both called Christina Fowler Owens .... One died young though...

Shona

Shona Report 8 Feb 2005 13:42

Good luck on Monday. Sometimes records appear that don't show up on Scotland's People. Shona

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 13:45

Thanks for your help.... Mhairi

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Feb 2005 13:56

Mhairi Don't know if this death is of any help 30 January 1922 at St Magdlene's Linlithgow (usual residence 15 Main Street Armadale) Thomas Oswald Owens aged 44 Coal Miner - single. Parents Thomas Owens coalminer & Christina Owens (ms Fowler) both deceased Informant C McGinlay - sister Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Feb 2005 14:10

19 July 1896 at Bank Row Parish of Slammanan Thomas Owens aged 44 married to Christina Fowler Parents Peter Owens Labourer and Catherine Owens (m/s) Johnston both deceased. Informant wife Christina Owens

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 8 Feb 2005 20:55

Margaret you are a gem.... All I need to do now is find William. You have been a great help and I would like you to know how much I appreciate it............ Thank you all ... Mhairi......