Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre-war boxing- JOHNNY BOOM and brothers (1930s)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aileen

Aileen Report 25 Jan 2005 09:37

Hi, Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I've just found out that some of my relatives were famous East London boxers-Johnny, Billy and Alf Boom and that one of them(believed to be Billy) took a fatal blow in the ring. I've contacted LB Newham message boards and have had some positive response and also plan to visit the local studies library in Tower Hamlets but wondered if there was anyone with an interest in the sport during the 1930s Many thanks Aileen

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2005 09:40

Hi, several of my dads bros and his dad were boxers (the dad did bare fist fighting and prize fighting aswell to supplement the income in the 30's). Their names are Dixon. So if you do see any records with their names, George, Ronnie, Ted. Id be very pleased to hear from you!

Aileen

Aileen Report 25 Jan 2005 10:22

Hi Heather, Have a look at www.prewarboxing.co.uk as there are lists of boxers on there. That's how I confirmed mine existed! If I find anything else out about your rellies I'll pass it on All the best Aileenx

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2005 10:24

Brilliant, Aileen, many thanks. God bless the internet and all those anoraks who put together this sites, eh?

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2005 10:53

Hey, a lot of Dixons! I shall have to ask Dad about it tonight! Many thanks!

Aileen

Aileen Report 25 Jan 2005 11:34

Hope you get lucky with those Dixons. Let me know what you find! I often wonder how researchers managed without the internet yet they did, didn't they? Guess you had to be dedicated as getting a tiny bit of info could take years! Happy hunting Aileenx