Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No record of my family name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 16 Nov 2004 11:33

I have searched many sites, mainly one's i have seen people on this site mentioning. But i cant seem to find any record of my family name past my grandad who was born in 1917. Is there any one who could let me know some good site to search in as i only started this genealogy stuff about a week ago and seem to be looking in the wrong places. Thanks James

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 16 Nov 2004 11:37

Hi Joanna, have you contacted others from this site researching the name, perhaps they might have some ideas for you. I see there are at least another two people as well as yourself who have that name. best wishes Christine

Heather

Heather Report 16 Nov 2004 11:39

Have you tried www(.)familysearch(.)org Please remove brackets Heather

Joanna

Joanna Report 16 Nov 2004 11:49

Hi yes i have tried both of the above but got no reply thanks any way. James

Trouble

Trouble Report 16 Nov 2004 11:53

As your name is unusual, have you tried different ways of spelling the name when you search?

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 16 Nov 2004 11:56

There is an Elizabeth Kevany 1871 census, age 36, R.C. schoolmistress, Sutton, Nottinghamshire. That's the only one though. Christine

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 16 Nov 2004 11:56

maybe they came from Ireland like my family....no trace of them until 1891. aghhhhhhhhhhhh

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 16 Nov 2004 11:58

It does sound like an Irish name.

Trouble

Trouble Report 16 Nov 2004 11:58

Found this under 1871 census Elizabeth Kevany 36 Sutton, Nottinghamshire, England Head Great Crosby Lancashire The other people with her are all lodgers This under deaths Name Death Registration Month/Year Age Birth Date District Inferred County CATHERINE KEVANY Oct/87 83 13 DEC 1903 Hillingdon Greater London DENNIS KEVANY Jan/91 69 15 JUN 1921 Enfield Greater London MICHAEL CHARLES KEVANY Sep/88 64 17 MAY 1924 Worksop Nottinghamshire WILLIAM CHARLES KEVANY Dec/88 69 1 JAN 1919 Hillingdon Greater London Name Death Registration Month/Year Birth Date District Inferred County JOHN FRANCIS KEVANY Jul/98 16 Sep 1914 Enfield Greater London MARY MARGARET KEVANY Oct/96 13 Nov 1943 Enfield Greater London It is also listed as an Irish surname

Joanna

Joanna Report 16 Nov 2004 12:13

Thanks to you all. I know that my nan came from ireland and i belive that some where down the line my grandads family were in ireland. I know that my grandad had a brother called Dennis, But my dad has said that they wer'nt a close family and he only met him a couple of times. Enfield sound like the right area so many thanks. James

Trouble

Trouble Report 16 Nov 2004 12:24

On the www.familysearch.org there are 50 birth/christening records and the following one on the census Census - 1881 British Census 26. John KEVANY - 1881 British Census / Durham Lodger Gender: Male Birth: <1851> Ireland on freebmd*rootsweb*com Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Births Mar 1908 Kevany John Harold Whitehaven 10b 7__ Deaths Mar 1909 KEVANY Bridget 51 Whitehaven 10b 460 Marriages Sep 1910 Kevany Annie Whitehaven 10b 1164

Joanna

Joanna Report 16 Nov 2004 12:36

Thanks Tracie. James

Mhairi

Mhairi Report 16 Nov 2004 12:38

Had a look at the scottish records site and out of all the info on there, there is two mentions of the surname Kevany. 1859 marriage James Kevany and Isabella Cook in Lanark 1901 census James Kevany 29 West Lothian. Don't know if anything helps but good luck.. Mhairi..

Joanna

Joanna Report 16 Nov 2004 13:05

Thanks Mhairi, you never know. James

Janet

Janet Report 17 Nov 2004 20:46

If you think your folk are from Ireland maybe they anglicised the name to Kevany from Kavannagh. Worth a look but beware there are thousands of Kavanaghs in various spellings. Janet

Candy

Candy Report 17 Nov 2004 21:22

Hi James, Here's another option:- I just did a search for your name with the Google search engine. You might try the search again using the search with in results hyperlink at the bottom of the google webpage. This is the link below http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Kevany&btnG=Google+Search&meta= Good luck with you research. Regs, Candy Australia

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Nov 2004 21:23

If you know where your grandfather was born 1917 you can get his birth record which should give his parents' names. Then you can try to find their marriage. You can check to see if they were on the 1901 census. nell

Candy

Candy Report 17 Nov 2004 21:26

Hi James, Oh it didn't display it all, so try this first one and enter your surname. http://www.google.co.uk http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Kevany&btnG=Google+Search&meta= Regs, Candy Australia

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Nov 2004 21:36

Thanks every one, il try these idears. James