Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what is 1837 online?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 20 Jan 2004 11:28

Can anyone please tell me exactly what the 1837 online is and what information is provides you with.. or you need to use it. I have seen this site referred to many times but am not quite sure what information it offers you..

BrianW

BrianW Report 20 Jan 2004 11:31

It is a pay to view site which has copies of the birth, marriage and death indexes held at the Family Record Centre ion London. Having found the reference from the index you can use that to order a certificate. For more recent deaths it has the date of birth where known, so it may save you from having to order a birth certificate! Also recent entries for marriages contain the surname of the spouse, and births the maiden name of the mother.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 20 Jan 2004 22:09

Further to Brian's reply: You need to know the name of the individual and the approximate date. It is only searchable by first three letters of the surname, so if you look for a Smith, Thomas or Jones, you may find all your credits gone very quickly unless you can pinpoint the year.

Tracy

Tracy Report 20 Jan 2004 22:44

Thank you both very much for the information. Its much appreciated as you never can be sure what these sites offer. Its to nice to have others to ask. Thank you

Tracy

Tracy Report 20 Jan 2004 22:54

Thanx claire it definately sounds like i should give it a go now i have had some positive feedback. Thank you for your comments Tracy

Kim

Kim Report 16 Jun 2004 20:33

Brenda , no you can't view the certificates , and you need to have a rough idea of the year as you cannot put in a surname just first three letters, it will give you the quarter born in, the district registered in and the page and volume numbers. These are required if you need to order from the gro. Later marriages I think after about 1911 give the spouse surname too, but not first name. Make sure you change the box at the top to birth marriage or death or you may end up looking for a marriage amongst the births (speaking from experience. )It is only really for purcahsing certificates. You get 55 units(pages) for £5.00 Quarter referes to either Jan/feb/Mar, April/May/Jun July/Aug /Sept ,or Oct/Nove/dec. which is when the event was registered, not necessarily when it happened.... KIM

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 20:42

3 other things to bear in mind: 1. Sometimes it is hard to read the indexes, especially the earlier ones which were handwritten. 2. Always go down and check the bottom of the page - sometimes there are added entries written in after the main list. 3. Events are sometimes registered in the quarter after they took place, so a b,m or d that occurred in Dec 1860 for example, might be registered in January 1861. Helen

Steven

Steven Report 16 Jun 2004 20:51

Also you should save any pages you view to your hard drive then you can go back and view it again without having to pay again. Steve.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jun 2004 23:00

Hi Tracy Just to give 1837 a thumbs up from me as well! Although it's pay per view, the more credits you buy the cheaper they work out. Also, because I've bought quite a lot lately, they've given me a special offer price on my next lot. Mandy :)

Sheila

Sheila Report 16 Jun 2004 23:24

Hi, Just nudged another thread up the board about 1837 they have a promotion on at the moment just put in offer3 in the promotional box and you get exta credits free, i have just bought 5 pounds worth and got 17 free credits :O) Regards Sheila