Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where has he gone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 24 Oct 2003 06:07

My husbands great grandfather was Edwin O'Donoghue born in 1877 in Middlesbrough, Married in 1899. (found these on free bmd). Other than this I can't find any record of him. Please can anyone suggest something. Ive looked on the 1881 and 1891 census as well as Free bmd and the IGI. Michelle

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Oct 2003 06:50

If you know for sure who he married in 1899, could you find out about her eg. birthplace etc. and follow her forward into 1901 census using her info. to search, rather than his. There are so many poorly enumerated/ transcribed records that less is more on the 1901 site. Put in limited info. and you sometimes get results.

Michelle

Michelle Report 24 Oct 2003 09:22

Unfortunatly I don't know who he married, I got Edwin from my husbands, grandfathers marriage certificate. Michelle

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 09:29

Is this a possible: 1901 census index Charlotte Dargue 18 Durham So Shields Durham So Shields Edwin Dargue 25 Durham Middlesbrough Durham So Shields General Labourer Mary Dargue 4 Durham So Shields Durham So Shields Matilda Dargue 22 Durham Jarrow Durham So Shields Sharlotte Dargue 8M Durham So Shields Durham So Shields Thomas Dargue 3M Durham Gateshead Durham So Shields George

Michelle

Michelle Report 24 Oct 2003 09:36

No that not them, Edwin was born in middlesbrough as was his son John. From what I've been told by my father in law, the family is originally from Ireland, two brothers came over to England, one went north, the other went south and dropped the O from his surname. My husbands branch of the family stayed in Middlesbrough until John (Grandfather) married and moved to Hartlepool Michelle

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Oct 2003 09:49

found them on 1901 census in middlesborough, Edwin ODONOGHUE, 23, yorksmiddlesborough, shipyard riveter. sarah odonoghue, 20, yorks middlesborough, - albert odonoghue, 12, yorks middlesborough. regards lisa

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 09:50

Got him: 1901- Edwin Odonoghue 23 Yorks Middlesbrough Middlesbrough Middlesbrough Shipyard Riveter Albert Odonoghue 12 Yorks Middlesbrough Middlesbrough Middle Sarah Odonoghue 20 Yorks Middlesbrough Middlesbrough Middlesbrough George

Michelle

Michelle Report 24 Oct 2003 09:58

Thank you all so much I now have his wife's name Sarah Elizabeth Harding. I will probably send for their marriage certificate now. How long do they usually take from the GRO? I wonder who Albert was! Michelle

George

George Report 24 Oct 2003 10:05

I would guess Albert was a younger brother/relative of Edwin. George

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Oct 2003 12:12

the following family also appear on 1901 census living middlesbro.: John Odonoghue, head, married, age 40 b Warwick, coventry, shoemaker. living Middlesborough. Elizabeth, wife age 36, b middlesborough. George , 15, son Ironwaorks Labourer. Kate, 13, daughter. Joseph, 1, son. maybe this is Alberts family? I also found these in 1881 census: John O'DONOUGHUE, head, m, male, 25, coventry, warwick, shoemaker. Elizabeth, wife, m, female, 19, middlesbro. Michael, son, male, 1, middlesbro. living 160 Cannon Street, Linthorpe, york. freebmd has a death of Michael June qtr 1881 Middlesbro. still doesnt help with Edwin. I cant see him anywhere on 1881 either. Maybe you could request a 1891 lookup on the notice boards, that may give you a lead? good luck. p.s. there were a few other possible siblings: Rose ann b march qtr 1893. Suzannah b 1885, d june 1891, age 6. Mary Elizabeth b dec 1889, d dec 1889. jeremiah b 1892, d sept 1893, age 1. good luck lisa

Suzy

Suzy Report 24 Oct 2003 14:10

Hi Michelle I think this may be Edwin and his family in 1891. What do you think? RG12/4004 Folio 93 Page 12 39 Dacre Street, St Hildas, Middlesborough John O'Donohue, Head, 43, Boilersmith, born Ireland Emma O'Donohue, Wife, 34, born Northallerton John O'Donohue, Son, 17 Edwin O'Donoghue, Son, 13 Mary O'Donoghue, Daur, 12 Syvester O'Donoghue, Son, 9 Agnes O'Donoghue, Daur, 7 Emma O'Donoghue, Daur, 4 Albert O'Donoghue, Son, 2 Walter O'Donoghue, Son, 3 months All the children were born in Middlesborough. The name has been transcribed as DONOHUE, so they may explain difficulty in finding it. Hope it's them. Regards. PS I'm afraid I couldn't find them on the 1881. Sorry.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 24 Oct 2003 14:19

Michelle I just ordered a marriage cert from the GRO and it took a week. I did request it over the phone though. This one was good though as it was a photocopy of the original rather than a modern typed one you would get from the register office direct. Jeanette