Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Genealogy Index

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 22 Oct 2003 16:26

I have a CD entitled 'Canadian Genealogy Index, 1600-1900'. Anyone interested in a lookup? Mind you, it's an INDEX, but it may give you leads..........UPDATE...... Since posting this thread in 2003, I've returned to work (parttime) and volunteer for two organizations. I am thrilled to try and help with Canadian lookups, but I like to check everything I can think of, so some requests take a long time.

Sue

Sue Report 22 Oct 2003 18:38

Hi Lisa I wonder if your index covers Manitoba and/or Saskatchewan? I am trying to trace my G Grandfather George Washington (yes really!) KILPATRICK. He homesteaded in Killarney, Manitoba where my Grandfather, William Roy, was born in 1897. George had 3 older sons, Charles, George and Herbert. I don't have dates of birth for them. They moved to Saskatoon, Sask sometime before WW1. When my Grandfather enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force his address was given in Saskatoon. I have no record of any of his brothers enlisting. I remember my father speaking of Uncles George and Herb, but not Charles so I think he may have died whilst my Dad (born 1921) was young. Any help appreciated! Thanks Sue

Marion

Marion Report 22 Oct 2003 18:42

Lisa, I have two for you to look up if at all possible~ This came from 1881 census for Richmond Quebec John HAWKER 39 England GTR employer Married to Harriet 41, sons William 9, and Earnest 4. Would like to know if there are more family. Also Albert TREBY born 1903 Bristol UK. I know he emigrated to Canada but absolutely no idea when. No idea who he married. Hope its not too much trouble and would appreciate any help at all. Marion

Carol

Carol Report 22 Oct 2003 18:50

Could you please have a look for these, if the dates go up far enough. Annie Flew born 1891 Bristol UK Lizzie Flew born 1897 Bristol UK I know they emigrated to Canada, Ontario with their parents James and Annie, and siblings around 1912. It would be great if you could find their death dates. Thank you for the offer. Carol

Yvette

Yvette Report 22 Oct 2003 23:27

Lisa Not sure what dates you go up to but thought it was worth asking you if you could find anything on John White, (aka Jack) born 1897 Chile, So America, parents from the UK, he married in Croydon UK in the early 1920's then emigrated to Iroquois Falls ONtario where he settled. He was seperated/divorced from his wife around 1944 and no-one has heard of him since. If there is any chance you can find something on your Index i would be most grateful for it as he is proving hard to find. Thankyou for your time either way. Yvette

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 02:04

Hi Everyone: I hate waiting for things and since there are only a few responses, thought I would try to look things up as time permits, rather than waiting for the weekend. The majority of the information on the CD comes from directories in Canada -- Lovell's Canadian Dominion Directory for instance; books -- Landmarks of Toronto; and an atlas. I scrolled through quite a few of the entries and the latest dates I have seen are 1900-1912. Lesley: There are no Alex Fishers listed with his birthdate (as most of the records are prior to 1900). Was he born in Canada? If so, do you have any idea who his parents were (I imagine that is what you are trying to find out)? I can search for their names, if you already know them. I searched for Alex, Alexander, Maud, Grant, Shirley and Joyce -- no results. I also searched for Maud Salmon (no results), but once again the dates are prior to 1900. There were quite a few Salmons. Is there a chance her family came to Canada too? If there is a chance that either set of parents were in Canada prior to 1900, and you know what their occupations were, I can scroll through each name, looking for someone with that occupation. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything, but please let me know if they were in Canada prior to 1900 and if you know occupations. I am being summoned by hubby; I hope to look up more tonight (California time) for the rest of you.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 02:41

Sue: Index covers all of Canada. Most of the George Kilpatricks lived in Ontario, one in Nova Scotia. Two other entries. George Kilpatrick: Event-living; Year-1910; Place-Saskatoon (Saskatchewan). Comments: driver. Source: Henderson's City of Saskatoon Alphabetical Directory for 1910. Volume/Page: 184. (Note: the province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occurred.) George W Kilpatrick: Event-living; Year-1910; Place-Saskatoon (Saskatchewan). Comments: caretaker. Source: Henderson's City of Saskatoon Alphabetical Directory for 1910. Volume/Page: 184. (Note: the province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occurred.) No entry for William or William Roy for birth near 1897. No entry for Roy, or R. either (living in Manitoba). All Charles' were listed in Ontario or New Brunswick. I guess the reason we aren't finding anything is because the CD seems to be limited to Directories and books?? Perhaps I would have better luck if it included church records. I have to leave again. I will continue the Kilptrick search when I return.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 04:16

Sue: Herbert Kilpatrick: Event-living; Year-1910; Place-Saskatoon (Saskatchewan). Comments: Electrician. Source: Henderson's City of Saskatoon Alphabetical Directory for 1910. Volume/Page: 184. (Note: the province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occurred.) Herb Kilpatrick listed in New Brunswick in 1896. William Kilpatrick: Event-living; Year-1910; Place-Saskatoon (Saskatchewan). Comments: Driver. Source: Henderson's City of Saskatoon Alphabetical Directory for 1910. Volume/Page: 184. (Note: same note applies) There aren't any other Saskatoon's listed, however, there are some blanks besides other Kilpatricks. I would be happy to search each one, looking for Manitoba or Saskatchewan, if you like. The Toronto Public Library has a service something like "Ask a Librarian". http://www(.)tpl(.)toronto.on.ca/ask_index.jsp They may have the ability to check a directory in either Province for address listings. They may also be able to tell you where to look next. There are also Canadian military sites. Reminds me, Amanda, from this site, recommended a great site to try: http://www(.)archives(.)ca/02/02010602_e.html So your grandfather had blue eyes and light hair, eh? If you haven't already seen it, there is a listing for William Roy Kilpatrick. I will try to think of other sites to try for you and the others on this thread. If you need anything else, please let me know. (Or if I missed checking something, let me know.)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 04:56

Patricia: Unfortunately, as I just mentioned above, it looks like most of the records are 1912 and prior. Sorry. I'm a little confused, did you want Stentiford looked up in Canada? There are 13 Stentifords on the CD. They lived in Ontario, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. They are: Charles, Edward, Henry, John, Joseph and Mrs. Sarah Stentiford. Please let me know if you would like information about any of them or if there is anything I may look up. If you are trying to contact the friend in Toronto, the Toronto Public Library may be able to get an address for you (see prior message).

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 06:40

I was up last night til 1:30 am. Had training for work today. Have training again tomorrow and training tomorrow night (4 hours) for earthquake preparedness. Have to stop looking now. Will resume on Friday. But, briefly: Marion: Didn't find your Hawker. Found: Edwind, Geo, Henry W, James, John, Joseph, Joseph E., Manoah, S.H., Thomas, Walter W., William, William F., and William H. Dates covered: 1660-1912. Provinces covered: Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan, British Columbia (one entry for Quebec). Marion, what is GTR employer? The only entry for Quebec was: William Hawker, Event-living; Year-1871; Place-Fraserville. Province of record source: Quebec. County of record source: Temiscouata. Comments: Brakeman. Source: John Lovell, Lovell's Province of Quebec Directory for 1871, John Lovell and Son, Montreal, 1871. Volume/Page: 985. (Note: the province and county are associated with the location of the record source and in some cases may not be the same as the place where the event occurred.) Note: Didn't find any Treby's. I will check websites on Friday or Saturday to see what I can find for both Hawker and Treby. There were a couple of messages yesterday or the day before asking for Canadian help -- you might check those messages if you are like me and want answers now! (I posted a few websites I use.) I will continue looking in a couple of days. Carol: Whew, and I thought I had uncommon names in my tree! There weren't any Flew's on the CD. There were Flewell's, Flewellen, Flewelling, Flewin, etc. Nothing close to James Flew. Oddly enough, there was one entry for 1970: David Bruce Flewelling, died in 1970, Nova Scotia. I will give you the source if you are interested. Please see the note directly above this paragraph, re websites. (I will check for you, too.) Yvette: You must feel like smacking your ancestors for naming their child John! There were billions of John Whites. Found one: John F. White, Event: died; Year:1962; Place: Happy Valley. Province of Record Source: Labrador. Source: Cemetery inscriptions from Labrador "Them Days", Newfoundland and Labrador Genealogical Society and Them Days, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador, 1985. Volume/Page: 36. (Has the same "note" as entries above, re province and county...) Yvette: I will check websites for you, too. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful for all of you. I will check websites though, and perhaps I will find something. P.S. I know I'm shouting, but: IF I MISSED ANYONE OR ANYTHING, please let me know. This was my first attempt at lookups and because of the CD format, it was more confusing that I thought it would be. PS again. I've nudged the two Canadian threads. (Any new people here? Look for the Canadian messages right around this message.) They have some websites that may help for those of you who haven't seen them before.

Trish

Trish Report 23 Oct 2003 09:03

Yes please Lisa, if you could see if there is a MORRELL born 1862 Bristol, England there please it would be a great help. His first name is slightly more difficult but you could try any of these - David, Edwin or Edward. We know he went there during the latter part of the 1800's ie 1880 - 1895. Thanks ever so Trish

Sue

Sue Report 23 Oct 2003 09:04

Lisa Wow! Thanks for all that info. Plenty there to digest. I found my Grandfather's CEF application a while ago on Archive Canada site. Blue eyes and light hair! From the photos I have of my Grandfather, my younger son is the image of him. Really spooky! Wish we had a site like that over here - be very useful for all my family that stayed this side of the pond If it's not too much trouble, I would be grateful if you could search the 'blank' Kilpatricks looking for Saskatchewan or Manitoba. Thanks again for your help Sue

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 23 Oct 2003 09:50

Thanks so much for this offer. Could you see if you could find William Penston who emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba sometime in the early 1880s. And any other Penstons? They will all be mine, I think! Many thanks.

SueS

SueS Report 23 Oct 2003 10:51

Lisa I can see you are very busy....if you have the time, I am still searching for my long, lost Grandfather last heard of in Canada (possibly Ontario) in 1911/12 Edward SUDBURY, born Liverpool England 31 October 1884. He was a merchant seaman. many thanks Sue

Yvette

Yvette Report 23 Oct 2003 11:02

Lisa MAny thanks for your lookup on my John White.....thinking of smacking my ancsetors,lol.......more than once i have had a similar thought as on my paternal grandfathers side they all named their children with the same names, i have father, son, 4 grandsons and countless cousins all with the same names, add to that 3 brothers married to 3 sisters and you get the picture! good job i like puzzles isnt it, lol. Anyway, thanks for the details you found on your disk for me, i am not sure yet if they will be the ones i want but i have filed them for for working on later, and would be grateful of anything else you may find online. Good luck with your own research as well as all the searches you are running for people on GC. Regards Yvette

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 15:39

I'll be happy to look things up for everyone. Glad that I can finally offer something, instead of just posting questions on GC. Working (training) all day and training tonight, so won't be able to start looking until at least tomorrow.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 23 Oct 2003 16:23

I'm off to work in 5 minutes. Looked quickly through the CD -- all but Vanessa's message will take longer than 5 minutes to research. I will get to the others, but: Vanessa - Penston - five Penston's in Winnipeg: Frank, Event: Living; Year: 1901; Place: Winnipeg; Province of Record Source-Manitoba; County of Record Source-Selkirk. Comments: Driver. Source: Lovell's Directory of Manitoba and Northwest Territories for 1900-1901; Winnipeg Alphabetical Directory... Volume/Page 286. See earlier comments from me re "Note" that the software company puts out about "The province and county are associated..." All of the same info for George, except he was a labourer. All of the same for Thomas J, except he was a plumber. Same as above: W.J., caretaker. Walter C. listed with same info as above, but no occupation listed. There is a John Penston in Newfoundland. Can get that info if you like. (1908, engineer, St. John's, Newfoundland) Let me know if I may help again. Sorry, there wasn't anything else.

Carol

Carol Report 23 Oct 2003 16:52

Thank you so much for looking Lisa, I have the cemetery records for James, so I dont think he ever did change the name to something longer Thanks again for your trouble.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 23 Oct 2003 18:41

Lisa, thank you so much. That information is absolutely brilliant. So pleased!

Richard

Richard Report 23 Oct 2003 20:36

Hi Would you be able to do me a look up? My Ancestor Albert Moorhouse moved to Canada from UK in the early 1900s. He had a son in Haynes, Alberta in 1916 but he had arrived in Canada around 1907 (ish!) He was married to Annie Poole who has also moved from the UK to Canada at around the same time. I know he lived British Columbia for his last 30 years in Canada but I would be interested to see if he appears in your index anywhere. Thanks alot for your time Richard