Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eva Oliver born c1872 Notts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 1 Oct 2003 22:48

Is anyone able to find me Eva's birth? Her mother was Ann Brown; I think Eva may have been born on the wrong side of the sheets so I'd love to know if I am related to an aristocrat!! Thanks Helen

Helen

Helen Report 1 Oct 2003 22:52

I'm not absolutely sure but I think the chid could only be given the father's name if the parents were married, otherwise the child would be given the mother's name. If your relly has a different surname to the mother then this would be the surname of who her mother was married to when she was born (not neccessarily the father!)

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 1 Oct 2003 22:57

Another hope dashed! Ann was married to someone else with two more children by 1881 and Eva shows as a step daughter.. Family gossip says someone came from 'the big house' but then isn't there one in every family tree? Thanks for the tip - I'll search for a previous marriage if I can't find the birth. Helen

Dave

Dave Report 2 Oct 2003 10:37

Hi Helen, From FreeBMD - Eva Oliver registered June 1871 in Bingham district of Notts vol 7b page 344. Bingham covers East Bridgford where she was born according to 1881 census and she would have been 9. Seems to be the one. Dave

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 2 Oct 2003 10:45

Hi - if your Eva Oliver is the one born in East Bridgford then if she was born the "wrong side of the blanket" and her father was from "the big house" - Belvoir Castle is not too far away from East Bridgford - so who knows, there could be blue blood in your veins. Jacqui

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 2 Oct 2003 16:17

Hello David and Jacqui, thank-you both very much for helping me out. This is the same Eva so I shall order her birth certificate with bated breath! Brilliant! :)