Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Silly named ancestors

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 23 Sep 2003 15:34

So far I've uncovered Lovelys who married Easys, and I have Hoares on the other side of my family. Anyone else got any ancestral names to wince at?

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 23 Sep 2003 16:17

I have a Bacon and an Onions in my tree, a friend has a Salt and a Pepper who married each other. Were the offspring called Cruet!! And a guy at our FHC is called Mutton. Ros

Annie

Annie Report 23 Sep 2003 16:33

I'm researching Stiffs at the moment ! Last year I was researching Crooks ... A

Judith

Judith Report 23 Sep 2003 16:49

Georgina, whereabouts are your Hoares? Any connection to Martha Brown? A friend of mine is researching the Hoare name in Dorset (she took great pleasure in informing me that one of her ancestors was a Hoare!). Judith

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 23 Sep 2003 16:54

Once went to a school called "Hoar's Academy for Young Ladies" Boy did we learn some things!! Jacqui

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 23 Sep 2003 17:00

My sister was searching through a parish register and found a Fanny Tickler,,,,,,lol,,,im still laughing now,,,just goes to show what a dirty mind iv got,

Andy

Andy Report 23 Sep 2003 17:11

One of my Thompson ancestors married someone by the name of Lemon, but judging by the search results on censuses, the name wasn't that unusual. That's the best I can do at present. :( Can't believe that someone called Salt married someone called Pepper, that's got to be a wind-up, surely?!!?

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 23 Sep 2003 17:16

No, it's not a wind up. I'll try and find out when and where later.

Janet

Janet Report 23 Sep 2003 17:16

When looking for marriages for my family name of Howe, I found one who married CHARITY BALLS - wonder if her brothers were POLICEMEN? I am very sad to say she was not a relative though. Jan.

Sue

Sue Report 23 Sep 2003 17:30

I went to school with 3 sisters named April, May and June. Their surname was Day! Honest! Their brothers had 'normal 'names like Robert, Richard and John. Sue at Langley Vale

Yvette

Yvette Report 23 Sep 2003 17:48

On my husbands side of the tree his grandmother was a Hooker..........Should be amusing when i start lookng into that one, lol Yvette

47551 Report 23 Sep 2003 18:05

No funny names but thanks so much for such a laugh. I am still giggling!!!! Nes

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2003 18:12

Without trying to bring the level down (honest!) one of my rellies was Fanny Bush. Sorry if i offend, but it is funny!

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2003 18:27

we have a fanny walls in ours

Sue

Sue Report 23 Sep 2003 18:28

Not rellies, but I recently came across a court case of Glasscock v. Balls

Helen

Helen Report 23 Sep 2003 18:39

Nothing to do with my ancestors but a few years ago we had a lady come into the bank where I work to open an account for her baby son Aaron. Their surname was Mycock! There was also a Mr Nakasuka had an account and Fanny Thong.

Tracy

Tracy Report 23 Sep 2003 18:49

I've got Dicks and Dykes in my tree! One for the future, I went to school with a girl called Gaye Pratt!

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2003 18:49

At a cricket match the commentator solemnly reported "The Batsman's Holding, The Bowler's Willey. Fun in the baths afterwards maybe? Lol Jim

Suzy

Suzy Report 23 Sep 2003 19:03

Me thinks you are joking Lesley!!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 23 Sep 2003 19:11

My 10-yr-old son thought it was an absolute hoot that there is a possible Crispianus in our genes... Liz