Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

q about Family Records Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 4 Sep 2003 19:18

This is going to sound really daft, but here goes..... If i went to the FRO to look at the BMD books, would i only be able to look at the same info i can get off Free BMD or can i actually look at the full entries to find out who parents were etc?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 4 Sep 2003 19:23

Hiya. Not silly. The information once you have found your entry is the same. However, as Free BMD is NOT complete, then you have more chance of finding the entry you need. Also good exercise! While you are there you can look at/print Census and wills too, so it is NEVER a waste of time!! I wish I lived in the next street so I could go every day!! Maz. XX

Mystified

Mystified Report 4 Sep 2003 19:25

Might save you some travelling time but most main libraries and/or record offices carry the microfiche for BMD.

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Sep 2003 19:27

Julie, FBMD is a transcript you get to see the original indexes at the FRC, you get to see all the people in the whole country with the name you are looking for, but you do then have to send for the certificate to get more information. But you can also search all the census records from 1841 ro 1901 for the while country (on micrifilm) if you have relevant addresses for the relevant dates you can come away with a copy of the entry giving a snapshot of the whole family all for 25p a throw. Pam