Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please can you help.?..I am a newcomer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2003 07:12

Hello..I have been trying to trace my G/Grandfather and have narrowed it down to 3 in 1851 all with the same name in the same village and just to help me all the same age within a few months..Please help..how can i start to delve deeper with nothing else to go on...i think this is what you may call a brick wall?? many thanks..Kate

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 4 Sep 2003 07:19

Do you know his wife's name? If you have the marriage certificate it will show his father's name and maybe his address. Post your name and dates on here and we will try to help Claire

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2003 07:33

Hi Claire Thankyou so much for the reply....Yes my G/Grandmothers name was Eliza Copson and G/Grandfather as John Kenney,,their marriage certificate shows it was 10th June 1878..In Whetstone Leicestershire,No father listed for either Bride or groom... Thankyou again...Kate

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 4 Sep 2003 07:43

Does it show their ages on the certificate,? Or does it say of'full age'? Claire

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2003 07:45

yes Claire...both age 29

Helen

Helen Report 4 Sep 2003 09:46

The only way I can think to solve this is find the 3 John Kenneys on the 1871 Census, hopefully some with their familes and see what their parents names were. If there is one not with family or with no father present this could be your man. It is quite unusual not to have a father listed on the marriage certificate. Often people who didn't know their fathers made someone up or put the Grandfathers name. Perhaps John had fallen out with his Dad and refused to have his name on the certificate.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 4 Sep 2003 09:51

I guess you have checked the 1881 census for Kennys in the same area? I found John and Eliza and their family.

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Sep 2003 10:10

Kathleen I'm afraid this has got nothing to do with your query but THANKYOU for pointing out that Whetstone is in Leicestershire. I have been wrongly assuming that it was in Hertfordshire and so have been looking for one of my ancestors in completely the wrong place. That'll teach me to research things properly! Jeanette

Anna

Anna Report 4 Sep 2003 10:58

there is a Whetstone in North London too N20,dont know what county it came under for the census though ...

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Sep 2003 11:00

Oh blooming heck - I'm confused now!Lol Jeanette

Kate

Kate Report 4 Sep 2003 11:15

Thankyou all so much for trying to help me...very much appreciated...I have not seen the 1871 Census yet...but have a few details from 1851 Whetstone which shows 2 Johns as 1 year old...and my third John was from the IGA where a John Kenney was born 1850 in England..of Irish Parents..There were 2 witnesses on the marriage certificate..which i thought may have been relatives but my searching so far as not accomplished anything to proove it...again thank you all...Kate