Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with cert info please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 3 Sep 2003 15:42

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me on this please? I called at the library last Friday and found my grandfather Edward Medley's index for his birth cert born in Oldham 1877 which arrived today. It says his father was Jacob Medley and his mother was Pricilla Medley (Crossley). My Grandfather married Mary Alice Howard in 1899 his father was put down as David Medley. Now on Free BMD search I have found out Jacob and Pricilla both died in March 1895. I am not sure where to look now. I could only find one Edward Medley in 1876 1877 and 1878 indexes. I have been on this for sometime now any ideas please. Thank you. Shirley

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2003 17:27

Found this in the 1881 - Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Jacob MEDLY Head M Male 42 Oldham, Lancashire, England Mule Overlooker Pricilla MEDLY Wife M Female 38 Oldham, Lancashire, England Formerly Cotton Operative Elizabeth MEDLY Daur U Female 14 Oldham, Lancashire, England Cotton Operative Joseph G. MEDLY Son U Male 12 Oldham, Lancashire, England Cotton Operative Charles MEDLY Son U Male 9 Oldham, Lancashire, England Scholar Jane Alice MEDLY Daur U Female 6 Oldham, Lancashire, England Scholar Edward MEDLY Son U Male 3 Oldham, Lancashire, England Do any of those siblings names sound right to you? Perhaps if the father had died an uncle stood in for him. The only other one listed was born in Sheffield, his father was Edward. Jan.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 3 Sep 2003 17:29

I see that Jacob and Pricilla are still together on the 1891,,,do you have the info on that? Claire

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2003 17:35

I'm just trying to check, but the page won't load. Jan

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 3 Sep 2003 17:57

Hello Jan and Claire, Thanks for your response I have been trying for over an hour to get on the tips board. Well the names other than Edward I am afraid mean nothing to me. The marriage certificate definitely says David Medley 11 Newtown Street Oldham. I did try a check on the 1901 census for this address but there was not a number 11. If you can think of anything else would you please let me know. Thanks Shirley.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2003 17:59

I'm still trying, just can't get onto the 1891 site at all now. Jan.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Sep 2003 18:10

At last, it let me in. The only Edward Medley (with the "e" this time) was the same one, son of Jacob and Priscilla, sorry. I then did a search for David Medley, and found four: aged 34, Sheffield aged 2, Sheffield aged 12, Farningham, Middx aged 23, Hull I did a quick check on the 34, Sheffield, one,but there didn't seem to be anyone like Edward under his name. Sorry, don't know what to suggest. Jan.

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 3 Sep 2003 18:33

Hello Jan and Claire, Thank you so much for your help I am very grateful. Shirley