Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

You know you are addicted to Genealogy when..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

May

May Report 3 Sep 2003 13:38

Thought this was very true. You know you are addicted to Genealogy. ...when you brake for libraries. ...if you get locked in a library overnight and you never even notice. ...when you hyperventilate at the sight of an old cemetery. ...if you'd rather browse in a cemetery than a shopping mall. ...when you think every home should have a microfilm ready. ...if you'd rather read census schedules than a good book. ...when you know every town clerk in your state by name. ...if town clerks lock the doors when they see you coming. ...when you're more interested in what happened in 1697 than 1997 ...if you store your clothes under the bed and your closet is stacked with notebooks and journals. ...if you can pinpoint Harrietsham,Hawkhurst and Kent of England, but can't locate Topeka, Kansas. ...when all your correspondence begins, "Dear Cousin," ...if you've traced every one of your ancestral lines back to Adam and Eve, have it all documented, and still don't want to quit. May ...

Maxine

Maxine Report 3 Sep 2003 14:15

Reading that I think I have a problem!!!

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 3 Sep 2003 14:22

I have always loved libraries and cemetaries. When I moved into a new town, the first thing I did was find the locations of both. What can I say.

Desperate

Desperate Report 3 Sep 2003 15:24

Dear May,I laughed at your letter,one of my fantasys was to be locked in the Liverpool Will.Brown library,A day was never long enough,and I didnt have the confidence to stay in a B=B on my own.To get alook in the archives,no waiting forthe right register,bliss. Also in the Liv.Registrars,who in my experience were very unhelpful.wanting every detail,ages,address,parish,that I didnt have.I could paper the house with their rejects.This was a good while ago,I think they may be better now.So yes.I am hooked. Margaret

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 3 Sep 2003 17:33

This all sounds very familiar..A longed for dream for myself and my sister is that we be allowed to rummage through the archives to our hearts content,,,even into the 'back room' from whenst all the documents are produced,,,,to ferret around unhinderd,,,,utter bliss.........

May

May Report 3 Sep 2003 18:39

Glad you all enjoyed this. I found it on the brickwall site. Such a lot of people keep putting interesting websites on that my ironing is piling up, the dust is thick enough to write your name in and I am living on tins of soup. Do you think I am addicted? May

Ellen

Ellen Report 3 Sep 2003 18:44

I knew I was addicted to genealogy when I asked for a copy of a death certificate as a birthday present.

Donna

Donna Report 3 Sep 2003 18:53

But isnt it nice to know your not the only one......