Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates-What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 3 Sep 2003 12:38

Does anyone think it's a good idea to set up an "unwanted certificate" message board. I know there are prob other sites that do this, but this is a great site and I know it gets alot of hits. I have at least 3 cert that are no use to me, that could be what someone on here is waiting for.I paid £11 each for them and would be willing to let them go for a £5 each. What does anyone else think? Catherine

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 3 Sep 2003 13:10

Hi all Good idea I have a few that are the wrong one's for me to. Jill

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 3 Sep 2003 14:26

That site will be brilliant once more people have contributed, but it's not just for unwanted certificates. You can post the info for any certificate on it.

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Sep 2003 14:52

I heartily recommend using ukbmd as it has the potential to be a major source of information for research and is available to anyone, not just GC members.

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 3 Sep 2003 15:15

Good Idea I have 2 Will's and 2 Parish Records all for Kirkland Joan

Christine

Christine Report 3 Sep 2003 17:58

CERTIFICATES FOR THE NAME ABEL Every time I have a tidy up of my family tree paperwork I do wander what to do with the certificates that I have that are not part of my family. I must have at least 5 certificates I would be quite happy to give them away if they went to a relative of the person on the certificate. I don't know what you all think? A message board for swaps/sales could be an idea. Chrissie

Melba64

Melba64 Report 3 Sep 2003 18:54

Great idea. I've just sent off for 3 certificates. That's a lot of money if any of them turn out not to be the right people. Melanie Jones

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 3 Sep 2003 19:05

I have 2 unwanted certs for William Walton, 1860 Durham, if anyone needs them email me. Kim

Deborah

Deborah Report 3 Sep 2003 19:38

Hi all, Just a friendly word of warning, before people start giving away unwanted certs. Sometimes, although they do not relate to the person you were originally searching, a bit further on they do sometimes turn out to be related to the family, and then become needed again! Maybe better to give the information on the cert away rather than the certificate itself. Debbie

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 3 Sep 2003 20:54

Hi Elton, The website is www(.)ukbdm(.)co(.)uk/ (NOT BMD) Good Luck. I have registered all of my certificates on here, hoping that they may interest someone else. It is not only for unwanted certificates. Maggy, West Yorkshire

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 3 Sep 2003 21:15

Hi Deborah, Thanks for the warning, but it was the records office that sent me the wrong ones. But I have to agree with you, don't just throw them away, they could be relevent at a later date. Kim

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 3 Sep 2003 23:03

Hi Elton, Just been on the site myself with no problems. Think that you must have gremlins!! Maggy

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Sep 2003 12:17

Just for your information, if you look on www(.)1837online(.)co(.)uk, and find the refs on there of the cert you want. Then go to the ONS webpage (link in that web address), to order a certificate online is £7.0 if you have found the refs yourself. When you order it you can put some checks with it too i.e. mother's first name. When they look for the cert and it doesn't have that name on there, they email you back AND refund you £4.0 off the the originally paid amount! Have I made sense, andyhow I think this is brill .... it has just happened to me, I wish I had done that with all the other birth certs that I got wrong and had to pay the full amount for!

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 4 Sep 2003 14:16

Hi everyone just been on the ukbdm very easy to submit information will be very usefull when more people submit so come on everone get submitting.Happy hunting Lita

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Sep 2003 15:13

I think that an unwanted certificates board on GC would be a good idea, even if it is a paralel to the other site which is still building and which people do need to spend a little time entering their certificates on. It may seem like duplication but there is duplication anyway since many local FHS have unwanted certificates available some even on line (like NDFHS). Pam

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Sep 2003 16:09

Sorry, I fail to see any advantage in running parallel facilities, it just means that to obtain 100% coverage you've got to enter and search the same information two (or three) times. In any case ukbdm has a head start of about 50,000 entries, I can't see many people duplicating that on here if they've already put it on ukbdm.

Christine

Christine Report 4 Sep 2003 17:21

Isn't ukbdm for information on any certificates you have regardless. I haven't the time at the moment to enter all the info. from all of my certificates. I think the point was that we have all ordered extra ones somewhere along the line that turn out not to be connected - although I understand from an earlier message that it may become relevant as we search further into our family. It wouldn't take a minute to enter the info. from the extras only! Chrissie