Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to begin?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keely

Keely Report 3 Sep 2003 11:19

Hi, I am interested in putting together a family tree, but I do not know where to begin! Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start please? Also, if there is any such thing as a 'user guide'. Thankx

Margaret

Margaret Report 3 Sep 2003 11:35

Keely The rule is to start with yourself and work backwards. Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc. You'll probably need to buy certificates for anything after 1901 if you don't already have them, after that you can consult the census, 1881, 1891 and 1901 are online. Margaret

Maxine

Maxine Report 3 Sep 2003 11:38

Hi there Start by recording evrything that you know definately, and make that your start. Speak to all family members that you can, and get as much information that you can from them - memories, names, family styories etc. Have a look at the general info and links sections on the left hand side of the page , and take a bit of time looking at what the different sites do. Then I would start working backwards using the 1901 census and 1881 census to find relatives and verify each other. If you get stuck on anything specific, post a query here, and we'll all try to help. Finally kiss goodbye to all your nearest and dearest- as once you start this you won't see an awful lot of them any more!!! Good luck with your hunting. Maxine

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 Sep 2003 11:52

Bit of advice. Buy a notepad, pencil and rubber. You'll need them. Sarah.

Keely

Keely Report 3 Sep 2003 12:11

Hi everyone, Thanx for all your help! I will let you know how I get on! Keely

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 3 Sep 2003 15:06

HI KEELY IM QUITE NEW TO ALL THIS MYSELF, MY MAIDEN NAME WAS HORTON & I WAS BORN IN EDMONTON LONDON, IF I CAN BE ANY HELP PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK ELAINE FARRANCE NEE HORTON

Keely

Keely Report 4 Sep 2003 10:57

Hi Elaine, My family are mostly from East London, Isle of Dogs. Well, that is as much as I know at the moment until I start looking into it further! I havent really got that far yet as I only started yesterday! But I'm sure I will get stuck soon so I will post something on here as soon as I do! thanx