Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's in a name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Sep 2003 23:25

Today I was on the Hugh Wallis site and put in searches for a couple of family names in areas i believed I had ancestors. Both were small villages. I got back Lock/Locke for one village and Greenley/Greenlay for the other. Are these 2 different spellings of the same name or 2 separate families. If it was the former, why did they do this? Was it to differenciate between 2 branches of the same family or possibly because somebody in the family had been disowned (may have an illigitimate child somewhere)? Or could it be that they just couldn't spell? Hope this makes sense Jeanette

Andy

Andy Report 2 Sep 2003 23:45

It will refer to spelling variations. What I want to know is, was it just a myth that adding an 'e' to the end of your surname (e.g. Cook and Cooke) was done purely out of snobbery? ;-)

Annie

Annie Report 2 Sep 2003 23:50

well. depending on your family background, lots of them couldn't spell in my family. I've got copies of certificates where they have just made their mark (crosses) and wouldn't have a clue how their surnames had been written. in my case LEE/LEA/LEIGH GAU/ GAW/GORE/GOT oh and Andrew. It might have been snobbery on the scribe's part too! Good luck A

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Sep 2003 23:51

Absolutely Jeanette Greenleyeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Annie

Annie Report 2 Sep 2003 23:53

ha ha ha Made me smile :)