Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confused by my 'family'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Sep 2003 22:11

I am totally confused by my tree today so I am ignoring it! Sent for a birth certificate for Kate Masters Tony's grandmother. Knew her Father was Isaac Masters Timberman at a colliery from the marriage cert.1903 and had found the family in 1901 Isaac, age 37 coal miner. Mary, age 33 Kate and several siblings. Place of birth ynysddu Monmouth Kate age 15 1901 census 1886. The only Kate Masters birth I could find was actually 1885, Newport Mon. Birth certificate came today, great excitement. Name Kate Louise, born Ynysddu July 1885. Father Isaac Masters haulier at a colliery, Mother Clara Masters formerly Tamplin. Bearing in mind that the wife on 1901 was Mary. I am sure that both these refer to the right family so I am left with a puzzle. Was Mary really Clara Mary? did Clara die and Isaac marry again (couldn't find a death or marriage for Isaac and Mary on free BMD.) Did find a marriage for Isaac Masters in 1885 (June) Newport M the other people on the page included a (wait for it) Rose Tamplin!!!! see why I am confused? And 'off' family history? Ann Glos

Rachel

Rachel Report 2 Sep 2003 22:19

I think I'd try ordering Clara/Mary/Rose's birth certificate, that is if you can find it under all those names! Are all the ages the same for her? ie in 1881, 1891, 1901? That might help to identify if its the same person. Good luck! Rachel

Melba64

Melba64 Report 2 Sep 2003 22:26

I am in a similar situation. Father and lots of children in 1881, 1891 and 1901 Census but no mother and only widowed in 1901 Census. Can't find birth entry for my grandfather and his age doesn't match up between the census records and his marriage certificate. Keep plodding on and I am sure you will make a breakthrough. I have enlisted support from the local family history society to try to trace my missing ancestor. Melanie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Sep 2003 22:30

Rachel, in 1881 they weren't married, I haven't got the 1891, in 1901 she was 33, so nothing to compare really. thanks for your thoughts though. I reckon I will have to try for a marriage certificate. Maybe she was Clara Mary Rose. Or Rose Clara Mary. Who knows. thanks for your support Melanie Ann Glos

Rachel

Rachel Report 2 Sep 2003 22:42

Ann I've found them on 1891 Isaac, head, 27, coal miner Clara, wife, 23 (i think) Kate Louise, Dau, 5 living at Graigs(?) Cottages, Mynyddislwyn, Monmouthshire Hope it helps Rachel

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Sep 2003 22:49

Rachel, Many thanks for that, something else to work on. I will look at it all tomorrow when I am not so tired, maybe the truth will 'hit' me in the face!! Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Sep 2003 21:25

Thinking about this, I am now pretty certain that Clara Masters was Kate's mother because kate then called her daughter Clara. What I can't find out is what then happened to Clara if Isaac was living with Mary masters in 1901. I am assuming she died but haven't yet found a death for her. Never mind it will have to wait for 2 weeks as I am going on holiday tomorrow. If anyone should come up with a possible solution perhaps they would e mail me please so I see it on my return. Thanks Ann Glos

Helen

Helen Report 3 Sep 2003 22:12

Perhaps she was a Rosemary Clara or Clara Rosemary?

Vanda

Vanda Report 4 Sep 2003 08:09

Hi - Perhaps she was just "known as" Clara or Mary or whatever. I am married to Brian John but he has been known as Mick since he was a child. No-one knows why. This will be a puzzle for future family historians! Good luck with this. Vanda