Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Getting side-tracked

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Sep 2003 16:24

Does anyone else get side-tracked when researching?.On my gg granparents' marriage certificate (1866) one of the witnesses was a Christmas Francis. I found one person with that name on the 1901 Census, but he was 43 then, making him 8 years old at the time of the marriage. Also he was born in Norfolk & the wedding was in Plymouth. Can he really have been a witness at the age of 8 ? Or is there someone else with such an unusual name ? Pat Frome, Somerset

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 2 Sep 2003 16:30

I have found two Christmas Franics' (male), who were 32 in 1891! They were both born in Norfolk!!!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Sep 2003 16:51

Jennifer Thanks. That (they!) would appear to be the same person as on the 1901, & I thought it would be such an easy name to find. Perhaps he was allowed to be a witness at such a young age. Does anyone know the rule on that please? Pat

Helen

Helen Report 2 Sep 2003 16:52

Wonder what time of year they were born? Reminds me of twins I went to school with called Robin and Noel!

Rachel

Rachel Report 2 Sep 2003 20:35

Pat I had a look at the 1881 census and there was only one! Christmas FRANCES Husband (Head) M Male 22 Saxlingham, Norfolk, England Labourer Fanny FRANCES Wife M Female 23 Wymondham, Norfolk, England House Wife Emaline FRANCES Daur Female 2 Norwich, Norfolk, England -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Source Information: Dwelling Sherborne Place Census Place Norwich St Julian, Norfolk, England I know what you mean about getting sidetracked tho, on my grandparents wedding cetificate one of the witnesses was Edna Feather! Still trying to find out about her. Rachel

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 2 Sep 2003 21:12

Pat, I read somewhere recently that as long as someone was able to actually witness there was no restriction on age. And, yes, I'm always getting side-tracked by interesting sounding witnesses! Vanessa, Bruton....not far from you.

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Sep 2003 08:29

I find witnesses a great source. Very often they are brothers or sisters (married) and can lead on to more info.

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Sep 2003 10:46

Thanks everyone for your comments & look ups ; that is worth knowing, Vanessa, about the ability to witness being acceptable regardless of age. In the meantime, I looked at FreeBMD & found 3 entries for a Christmas Francis in different parts of the country. Amazing for such an unusual name. One of them was for a death in Plymouth aged 67 in 1877, which I think must be the one that I was looking for. Don't know whether to buy a pair of blinkers to keep on course, or just enjoy the canters down the side tracks ! Pat

Rosi

Rosi Report 3 Sep 2003 11:21

I am in grave danger of cantering off down a side track too - one of 'my' witnesses is a 'Peter Gleadowe De Lacy Evans'! The wedding was in 1876 in Hammersmith. Anyone fancy looking him up? I'm not sure where to put which name and in which box! Rosi