Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can you recommend some good Lancashire sites?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 2 Sep 2003 09:48

Hi I've been lucky enough to identify a relative in an old photo album. This is now sending my search into Lancashire. Can anybody recommend any good web sites for the Lancashire county? Thanks! Sam

Chris

Chris Report 2 Sep 2003 09:53

Hi Sam You could try this site http://freepages(.)genealogy(.)rootsweb(.)com/~dadds/MERSEYSIDE(.)index(.)html Chris

June

June Report 2 Sep 2003 10:16

Try Lancashire BMD, it isn't complete yet, but you may be lucky. June,Nr.Preston.Lancs

George

George Report 2 Sep 2003 10:16

try: www(.)lancslist(.)com George

Andrea

Andrea Report 2 Sep 2003 12:18

Hi Sam Who is it you are looking for in Lancashire and whereabouts? Am just checking as most of my family are from Lancashire - Darwen - and Smith is my Mum's maiden name.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Sep 2003 16:16

Hi I'm searching Lancashire at present for HARROPS and YATES from Darwen and Bolton areas. It seems much more difficult to search Lancashire but I think that's cos I got thoroughly spoilt by the Norfolk Transcription site before. Janet

Stephen

Stephen Report 2 Sep 2003 16:48

Janet Can you advise site address for the Norfolk Transcriptions you mention. Thanks Stephen

Samantha

Samantha Report 2 Sep 2003 18:04

Thankyou for all your suggestions. I've got a busy night ahead. Andrea, The Smith side of my family comes from Belper and Derby. I've just linked it to the Chew family who originate in the main from Haslingden, Lancashire. I found an old photo of a 10 month old boy called Alan Herbert Horsley Chew and via the census found him to be the son of one of my Derby Smiths. Sam

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 3 Sep 2003 07:41

Janet I am also researching Harrops in Bolton. Alice Harrop married William Josiah Hurst in 1893, Her father was James Harrop ,deceased at the time of the marriage

Chris

Chris Report 3 Sep 2003 10:31

samantha im related to the chew family from haslingden. john chew was my gg grandfather Christine

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 3 Sep 2003 10:40

Stephen, Norfolk Transcription Archive is at: www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php3 Liz

Melba64

Melba64 Report 3 Sep 2003 19:14

I recently joined the Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society. It is £12 per year but you get access to several sub groups and they have helped loads. I am part of the Internet group and get loads of email messages with useful sites and tips. It is well worth it if you have a lot of ancestors to search for in the Lancashire area as I have... Jones in Salford, Gerrard in Pendleton, Salford, Dyson in Manchester, Quayle originally from Isle of Man but moved to Manchester. Melanie

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 3 Sep 2003 19:40

Hello Melanie, Do you have an address for the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society please? Thanks Shirley

James

James Report 3 Sep 2003 19:55

Hi Melanie. Can you help with this? I am looking for one my Grandfathers brother's Arthur Jones(c1895 Woolwich) who moved to Bolton area with his wife Alice. No further info at all on him although I have posted a 'trying to find' message on www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/family history. If anybody else can help, I will appreciate it. Jim Jones.

James

James Report 3 Sep 2003 19:59

Hi Sam Smith, try www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk (family history) good luck Jim Jones

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 3 Sep 2003 20:07

The Web site for Manchester Family HIstory is www(.)mlfhs(.)org(.)uk(.)

Samantha

Samantha Report 3 Sep 2003 20:37

Thanks again for all your help. It is really good to get recommendations from people in the know! Christine, I have e-mailed you about your John Chew. Thanks again to you all for your wonderful support, trouble is this is getting a bit addictive. Sam