Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MAIDEN NAME QUERIE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belle56

Belle56 Report 2 Sep 2003 08:46

Can anybody out there tell me why they stopped putting the mothers maiden name on the birth register page, my grandfathers sister was born a year after him in 1911 and on the register page it had a maiden name, i have not seen this on any other pages i have looked on, any ideas.

Chris

Chris Report 2 Sep 2003 08:52

April It could have been because sometimes parents would give one of there children a middle name that was the mothers surname. Chris

Belle56

Belle56 Report 2 Sep 2003 10:32

thanks for the reply chris, but the whole page had a list of the mothers maiden names on, i even went back in to have another look.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2003 11:11

They started doing that around 1911 to present

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 2 Sep 2003 11:16

Have just checked my mother's birth certificate. In 1902 her mother's maiden name was on the certificate. Kathleen

Deborah

Deborah Report 2 Sep 2003 11:19

Hi Aptil, Mothers maiden is always on the birth certificate, but was only put on the indexes from 1911. Debbie

Belle56

Belle56 Report 2 Sep 2003 11:28

thanks for your prompt reply people, but i do actually mean the birth page register, not the birth certificate, sorry for any confusion, many thanks.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Sep 2003 11:44

Scottish B, D & M's all state mother's maiden names to this day. Lucky for those of us who are looking for Scottish Ancestors! Regards Margaret

Cazziemc

Cazziemc Report 2 Sep 2003 19:22

Margaret, I have a copy of a Scottish wedding certificate from 1855. Before I got it, I was very excited as I had been led to believe that both the bride and grooms mothers maiden names would be on it. No such luck - when it arrived neither had a maiden name and so I was stumped. Do you think this was just on oversight on the copy and the original DID have the maiden names on? This is the only Scottish certificate I have, so I do not have anything else to compare with. The couple were married in Midlothian. Hope you have some information. Thanks in advance. Carol.