Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cemetery obsession!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 1 Sep 2003 23:47

Following my recent obsession with cemeteries I found these sites that may be of interest to someone out there. http://www(.)honely(.)ukf(.)net/ which is a cemetery in West Yorkshire. http://www(.)cemsearch(.)co(.)uk/ which lists several cemeteries in Lancashire. http://abneypark(.)ground-level(.)org/stories/storyReader$7 which has links to various cemeteries around England. Some of the records are free to read and some you have to pay for. Jeanette

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Sep 2003 08:50

Jeanette Do you know of any Manchester Cemetry sites please? Thanks Lynne

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Sep 2003 10:43

Lynne Try this page http://genealogylinks(.)net/uk/england/lancashire/lan-cem(.)htm removing the brackets of course. It has links to cemeteries in Manchester and the surrounding areas. Jeanette

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 2 Sep 2003 10:53

HI Can I ask a daft question -- If you find a record for a cemetery and there is no grave stone would you still go and see the plot?? Just wondered and I know everyone is different Ann,Darlington

Andrea

Andrea Report 2 Sep 2003 12:11

Ann What would be the point?? If it's someone close to you that you knew and they died, then fair enough. But for us budding genealogists tracing family back hundreds of years, would there be any point going to look at a patch of grass??? I wouldn't help in any way shape or form so..... I wouldn't. Would you? Strange question that sets the mind thinking.

Maxine

Maxine Report 2 Sep 2003 12:24

Hi Ann I think I would go and see the spot, even if there wasn't a headstone, as I like to get a feel for where my ancestors are/have been(if you know what I mean!). I would still get satisfaction from finding their last resting place, and marking it in some way. (perhaps flowers or something). Maybe I am a bit over sentimental! Regards Maxine

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 2 Sep 2003 12:32

Hi An I agree with Maxine. I think my curiosity would get the better of me and I would have to take a look. I know I have one rellie (gg grandmother) who is buried without a headstone down in Hertfordshire so if I'm ever down that way I would probably go, especially as there may be other rellies buried in the same churchyard. Like you say its up to the individual. Jeanette

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 2 Sep 2003 13:18

Thanks for that you sentimentalists. I have found that this Gt Grandad died in the workhouse! Even thought there was family around so I will go and see the plot at the risk of the man at the Cemetery thinking I am bonkers!! Thanks for not thinking I am daft!! Ann,Darlington

Janet

Janet Report 2 Sep 2003 14:50

I found my maternal grand mothers burial site which is without a stone and I found great comfort in visiting it. I never met her, she died some 20 years before I was born, but she was STILL my grandmother and it made me feel so much better putting some flowers on her grave. She, too, was buried at the expense of the workhouse along with 5 or 6 others so the flowers were for them too!!!! I also love visiting the churches where my ancestors were christened, married and buried. To walk along the pathway that they also walked is quite eerie! I really AM a softie aren't I?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Sep 2003 22:51

I quite agree with the sentimental lot. In fact am off tomorrow to re-visit my 3 X gt grandparents grave and put some flowers on! The thing I have enjoyed the most is standing in a church on the spot where a set of 4 X gt grandparents got married in 1812. As you say, to walk where they walked etc gives you a little shiver. XX

May

May Report 3 Sep 2003 13:03

Hi, I too like to get the feel that there is someone there belonging to me. I recently went to St.Nicholas Cathedral in Newcastle on Tyne. I found the tomb of my g.g.grandfather. I took photos, and I just sat there for ages getting the feel of my ancestor being there and trying to imagine what it was like at the funeral. Unfortunately it is half hidden under the pews but it is there. I will go again. Yep I'm just another sentimental. May

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 Sep 2003 18:36

Well had a great day! First revisited ggg grandparents grave and put flowers on. Then found the church was open - shut last time - so saw where gg grandmother baptised. THEN went on to church where ggg grandfather baptised and gggg grandparents married in 1808!! No gravestones, but church was open (although in need of lots of money spending on it) so stood in the spots!! Brilliant and only just made school in time to pick kids up. Took my 80 yr old mum and she loved it too. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone! XX

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 Sep 2003 18:51

Thanks Max. Think I am quite lucky as started this v young (no really) and got fair bit of info from elderly rellies and even family bible pages. Also most of mum's side are within driving distance and in villages so no question as to which church they used. Dad's side a different matter as in East End and churches every few streets! Wish I could go back that far on all branches tho. One day ... XX