Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 Lookup Liverpool, please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lilian

Lilian Report 1 Sep 2003 19:21

I'm looking for Elizabeth Davies, born 1868-1872 in Liverpool. Her father's name was William. I'm hoping she was still living at home. She didn't get married until 1892. Any help would be appreciated. Lilian

Lilian

Lilian Report 1 Sep 2003 20:54

No,Rosemary, I don't have William's age or his birthplace. I only know his name from Elizabeth's marriage cert. and that he was a dock labourer at the time. It may be that Elizabeth was not at home at the time of the census. She married a William Garside in 1892. Does that help? Lilian

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 2 Sep 2003 08:38

Lillian, Do you know where Elizabeth and William Garside married? I am looking a birth cert, any idea on the mother's name? This would be great for th Census search too in 1881. Jeni

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 10:25

Yes, Jeni, they married from an address in Great Homer street, Liverpool but I can't find Elizabeth and her family there in 1891. I was hoping they would be living around that area. I don't know her mother's name. I haven't got Elizabeth's birth cert because there were quite a few Elizabeth Davies born around that time. Is this of any help? Lilian

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 2 Sep 2003 16:27

I am struggling with the 1891 census, due to the wide span of dates shoe could have been born on .... on the marriage cert it would tell you how old she she was .... what does it say? I am seeing alot of girls that kind of fit the match, however are servants. She is of the age where she has probably left home / mrriaed and we know she doesn't marry till 1892, the year after. IF you can tell her age from the marriage cert that would be bill. Regards. Jeni

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 16:35

Hi Rosemary, Just to confuse you, William Garside was Elizabeth's first husband. He died in 1897. She was married to Edward Sale on the 1901 census. That's how I found her age and where she was born. Could you possibly look for any Garsides in the 1891? Maybe Elizabeth was living with one of them. Her age on her marriage certs and the 1901 census don't tie in. That's why I'm having trouble looking for her birth because there were several E.D's born within that age range. If I can find her on the 1891 and get another age, I might be able to find her birth. Does this make sense??? Thanks for your help, Lilian

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 2 Sep 2003 16:43

The are about 165 William Garside's in the 1891 census!!!! On the marriage cert, how old does it say WIlliam was?

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 16:51

Hi Jeni, Elizabeth's age on her first marriage in 1892 was 21 (born 1871), second marriage 1898, 24 (born 1874). On the 1901 census, age 30 (born 1870 or 71). She may have lied on the 1st marriage or it could have been an error on the 2nd. Take your pick!!! That's why I'd like to find her on the 1891 to confirm one way or another. Lilian

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 17:02

Hi Jeni, William Garside was age 30 (born 1872) when he married in 1892.. They were married from Great Homer Street, Liverpool. I would imagine they lived around that area in 1891. Thanks for trying, Lilian

Valice in

Valice in Report 2 Sep 2003 18:20

Hi Lilian re you comment above about William Garside being aged 30 when married in 1892(born 1872) the maths don't tally. Val

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 18:33

You're right, Val. Working out all these ages and dates has finally got to me! Of course, William Garside was born in 1862. Thanks for letting me know. Lilian

Lilian

Lilian Report 2 Sep 2003 18:42

Hi Rosemary. I also found the ED on the IGI but, according to St Cath's BMD's, there were 9 born in Liverpool within the possible years and I don't know if any had father William unless I send for certs. It may be that they weren't all on the 1881, which has been the case with some of my other ancestors. Sorry to be a nuisance but thanks for looking on the IGI anyway. Lilian