Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pre 1837 information?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marcelo

Marcelo Report 1 Sep 2003 18:30

How do I find birth and marriage details pre 1837. I have found dates on the IGI between 1800 and 1837 of some marriages and deaths that I would like to find out more about. The areas are Westminster, Chelsea, Bethnall Green and Hammersmith. What is the quickest way and what is the cheapest way. I don't live anywhere near London.

Mystified

Mystified Report 1 Sep 2003 19:24

Can I recommend this site to you? I posted it the other day. There are lots of tips and help. John

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Sep 2003 19:33

Hi Marcelo, This is where it starts to get difficult. Before 1837 you need to look at the parish registers for the info you require. These are generally held within the area to which they refer. London is something I don't know much about, but I know someone else will, but for most other parishes they are held at the County Record Office for the relevant county, and copies at local libraries for the immediate adjoining local parishes. Apart from the IGI there is very little available on-line. Always worth checking with the relevant county FHS, who often provide searches at quite reasonble rates. Also keep an eye on the tips board. Many people offer to do lookups for others when they are visiting far flung counties for their own research. Debbie Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 1 Sep 2003 19:34

What sites that then John????lol Debbie