Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i give up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 1 Sep 2003 16:35

yup i really feel like giving up!!!1

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 Sep 2003 16:50

Hi Joanna, I have been there too! Keep going, it will be worth it I am sure. Ask for help on here if you are really stuck - someone somewhere may have the answer you are looking for. Regards, Liz STS

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Sep 2003 16:50

Don't. If you have a problem then post details.

Angela

Angela Report 1 Sep 2003 16:50

no don't do it!! We all have days like this!! Sometimes I wonder whether my ancestors didn't want to be found.

Helen

Helen Report 1 Sep 2003 16:53

Come on Joanna, you can't give up! Let us know what you're stuck with and we'll try and help. There are plenty of us out here willing to give you a hand and point you in the right direction.

Janet

Janet Report 1 Sep 2003 16:54

Joanna has been posting details, we just can't find anything to help her. Jan.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 1 Sep 2003 20:11

I sympathise. In my case, behind every brick wall is a living relative. Took me four years to wrestle a half-complete family tree from one relative. He had decided to see whether he could get back further and faster than I could, got bored after six months, then refused to tell me what he had learnt. Of course, no one else would help me because they all thought I too would lose interest in a year and they had spent a lot of time assisting him. I know none of this helps you, but at least dead relatives aren't being deliberately beligerant :)

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 1 Sep 2003 20:23

Thats terrible Kathryn,It must have been really frustrating for you, I too have some relatives like yours. I wrote a polite letter asking if they could help me and they proceeded to contact other family members, asking for an indignant message to be passed onto me saying that they 'didnt want to be involved' As it turned out there were a couple of skeletons hiding in the cupboard , but it didnt stop me.

Meryl

Meryl Report 1 Sep 2003 21:17

Good for you Clare! Keep Searching and Good Luck,Tomorrow might be that lucky day! Meryl

Keith

Keith Report 1 Sep 2003 21:22

Hi Joanna, if it's smoking then give it up. If it's genealogy don't give up. You never know when something clicks into place. When it does it can sometimes be a mammoth leap. In my case a box of certificates which, of course, nobody knew about and which I was given after a family death and bingo, back 5 generations. Wonderful! Hang in there and good luck

Tracy

Tracy Report 1 Sep 2003 21:30

Try not to give up. So many people have helped me on this site. It will be worth it in the end. Keep smiling and try to be positive Tracy

Desperate

Desperate Report 1 Sep 2003 21:31

Hi Joanna, I have been looking for my lot for over 20 years,spent lots of time and money,it was a lot harder then,I have visited churches,leafed through hundreds of registers,no computers,and I am still at it.Beleive me,things are a lot easier now,and the people on this site are so good.Stick with it. Best Wishes. Margaret

Joanna

Joanna Report 1 Sep 2003 21:57

Thank you to every one, i cant believe how helpful and friendly u all are. I shall not give up, but u might be wishing i had in a couple of weeks u will all be fed up with helping me!!!! Im off to town in the morning im going to try the library and register office again, thankyou all

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Sep 2003 22:04

Joanna I know how you are feeling but if you can bide your time you will find what you are looking for. I find that things come through in fits and starts, and when they do come through it is really exciting! My Mum was a war baby and all she ever knew of her Dad was his name and the fact he came from Pensylvannia. I started searching for him on her behalf 2 years ago and got nowhere, then after 6 months i had a major breakthrough and found what i believed to be a relative. Things then hit a brickwall when this was refused. However this January i had another indepent link to this person, tried again and Bingo! Mum now has 2 new brothers and sisters and ancesters going all the way back to 1658!! Just think what you might miss if you quit, take a break and try again, it really is worth it. Yvette

Joanna

Joanna Report 1 Sep 2003 22:23