Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 and/or 1891 census help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Sep 2003 11:02

Can anyone help me with any of these please. Thomas John White, Croydon area, Samuel Sayer, Kent area, William and Alice Elliff, Croydon area. I cant seem to find a record of them anywhere but the 1881 and only William and Alice in 1901, and need to find out more on all of them. Yvette

Heather

Heather Report 1 Sep 2003 11:14

Found in 1891 Samuel Sayer aged 64 born Harleston Norfolk living at 178 Mitcham Road Croydon - Water Inspector with Rebecca - wife - 61 Charlotte - daughter 20 Annie - daughter 19 daughters both dressmakers wife and daughters all born Aldenham Hertfordshire hevi ps will look for others later if no one else has found them for you

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Sep 2003 11:23

Thanks Heather I dont think this is the Samuel i am looking for though as he would have been about 58 years old in 1891. In 1881 his wife was Mary, although it is possible he remarried i guess. I am not 100% sure of my facts but believe he came from Essex somewhere also if this helps. Yvette

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Sep 2003 22:42

Hi Roseamry Many thanks for your help. My Mary Sayer was born in Tamworth so i dont think the Mary you found up is a link for me, however i would be interested in the Samuel Sayer 56,b Witham, that you found up. Although his wife was Mary, Minnie is actually a nickname that figures a lot in my Nans family, so who knows? As for the William and Alice Elliff link i am looking into, i dont think that the one you found up is any use to me, but are there any others anywhere? I am having real trouble tracking them down,they are in the 1881 and 1901 census.Surely they had to be somewhere as they had the following children in 1891 Annie 12, Alfred 9, Frederick 5, Arthur 3 and Frank 1. Yvette

Yvette

Yvette Report 1 Sep 2003 23:42

Hi Rosemary Thats them. Many thanks again. Kate Sayer married a Thomas John White just after the 1891 census and had 5 children. Her son John was my grandmothers father. Kate actually brought my grandmother up as her daughter, her real mother is totally unknown, my grandmother was born in 1920 but we have been told she never had a birth certificate.I am currently waiting for a copy of her wedding certificate to see if it gives any clues, but do you know if it is possible she was right about not having a birth certificate? I also have another puzzle with Kate and her husband that i need advice on. They lived in Croydon, had 4 of their 5 children in and around Croydon, but John (3rd child)was born in Chile So America, how can i find out why he was born so far from home? I would be very grateful for any ideas on where to start looking on this. Thankyou Yvette

Yvette

Yvette Report 2 Sep 2003 16:21

Hi Rosemary I noticed on other message boards that people have talked about emailing original copies of findings. I am not sure if this covers entries on the 1891 census, but if so was wondering if it would be possible for you to email me a copy of the entry you found for me on Samuel Sayer. I would be very grateful and hope that i am not being to cheeky for asking you. Thanks Yvette